Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CS:S - CounterStrike:Server

Default CS:S - CounterStrike:Server

Hello my friends! I'm here to start up a new project. As the name suggests, this will be a CounterStrike server. If anyone saw my thread for a Dual P3 server, that was what this was going to be. Unfortunately, I didn't win the auction for the server mobo/CPU/RAM so I'm back to square one. I've got a few parts already that will be going into this (512MB RAM, 9Gb HDD, PSU if it is powerful enough among other things) but I also need to buy some more stuff. If you're curious, here is a list of what I'm hoping for. It is a lot of small things (in size, not importance) because I want this to be as discrete and out-of-the-way as possible. Anyways...

Mini Itx Mobo + 1GHz CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813181016

PSU (if I can't use the one I have laying around)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817103428

Wireless Mouse
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16826105042

Slim Keyboard
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16823201016

Now, you're probably looking at this saying, "Wow, that's going to be underpowered for a server.." but no worries, this will be a server for CS 1.6 with ~4-10 people in it tops. It will also be running Xubuntu because it is a lighter weight OS.

So, on to the case. For this, I will be using 2 or 3 (depending on size needs) replica ammo cases I found at a local liquidator store. Pretty good size cases for $5 each. Nice . I will also be using tinted plexi if I can find it, and if not just sprayed black plexi. The plexi will be mostly for covering gaps were the cases don't meet and for fabbing mounting stuff (HDD cage, etc.). Anyways, here are some concept pictures I quickly drew.

Image explanation. Front and Back of case. This is pretty much what the cases look like, though I did draw them from memory. I'm not sure what the thing on the end is (left side of picture), but I like it. It is a perfect place to stick a fan (X-ray view on right side) because they hide it well and are lifted off the case a little. The fans will have dust filters too . The cases are also more Olive-green, I just didn't have an olive colored pencil . You can see where the plexi will be used (right down the center).

Image explanation. One side of case. Pretty much the case side. I will be spraying on the CounterStrike logo on one side and the words "CounterStrike" on the other.

Black and Olive-green are the main colors of this case. The mouse and keyboard will be painted accordingly. And, if I can find one, I will be putting a screen on the top inside of the case (it will open like a chest, and the screen will be mounted there) because I want this to be an all-in-one sort of box. And in case you were wondering, I will be putting some plexi over the open area of the chest (giving it a covering of sorts) where the keyboard and mouse will be able to be used. I wish I had the cases and parts so I could explain some of this better, but I'm at a lack of funds ATM (though a paycheck and video card sale will be in the very near future).

Feedback is always welcome!

Maleficus.
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: CS:S - CounterStrike:Server

Those plans sound good. Can't wait to see you kick this off.

"PSU (if I can't use the one I have laying around)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817103428"

dude forget that thing use one of those pico psu thingys! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813995001

i like the idea though even though im sure cs has been done before
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    Those plans sound good. Can't wait to see you kick this off.
    Thanks man! I'm going to draw out a few more plans today, one for the monitor and one for the keyboard and mouse rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by armadilloben View Post
    "PSU (if I can't use the one I have laying around)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817103428"

dude forget that thing use one of those pico psu thingys! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813995001

i like the idea though even though im sure cs has been done before
    I would use a PSU like that, but I'm trying to keep this under $220, so I don't have the money to spend on that.
    RIP Bucko

Like I said I would, here is another picture. Hopefully you'll be able to see how the screen and keyboard/mouse will be set up.

The black around the screen is plexi. That is also what the mouse and keyboard will be sitting on.

Sorry about the image quality... Shaky picture-taking hands + image resizing = poor quality...

Also, my dad told me there was a military surplus store right near our house! I'm going to go check and see what they have there before I buy the cases I found at the other store. Who knows, maybe I'll find more stuff for this mod!

Maleficus.
    RIP Bucko

What kind of ammo cases are you using for this? .50 cal, 5.56mm 7.62mm?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    What kind of ammo cases are you using for this? .50 cal, 5.56mm 7.62mm?
    Honestly, I don't have any idea lol. If I use the ones I found before, they are just replica generic ammo looking cases. Probably 6"x12" if that helps.

I'm going to see if I can persuade my mom to take me to this military store. (I know I said it was close by, but it's -20º here!) If I find something that interests me more, I'll probably get those, but if not, I'll get the other ones, maybe even as soon as tomorrow.
    RIP Bucko

I like the idea, and your sketches. Have you considered building model of a military foot locker to use as your case? The handles would make for a nice lan-party convenience...

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

That's kinda the idea, I'm just using ammo boxes because that's what I saw first and what inspired this mod lol. I was planning on using the handles on top of the boxes as carrying handles too.

And the last picture you posted is what is should sorta be like. It will open like that, then on that top part will be the monitor, and above the opening will be a rest for the keyboard and mouse.

I should be able to get to that military store tomorrow (couldn't today, I'm pretty sick) and I'll post back with my findings (if any).

Also, watch for a special surprise in the future! All I will say now is that it will involve one of those remote control type mice .
    RIP Bucko

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Holy crap jdbnsn that is my current project. I am currently shopping for a footlocker or a large ammo case. I already have the computer parts to go in it.
    Need a sig