Thread: Dual PIII Server

Default Dual PIII Server

Alright guys, here's the deal. I'd like to make a dedicated CS:S server, and I don't have a spare computer to do that with. I'm looking around eBay for Dual PIII computers, and I'm pretty impressed with the prices and specs. But how good should I need to get this? Would a Dual 667Mhz and 512Mb RAM suffice? Right now I found an INCREDIBLE deal (Dual 1GHz, 1GB RAM) but the auction doesn't end for 4 days, and I imagine the price will at least go up to $50 (I have a tight budget now), so what do you think will be good? This will just be a CS:S server, maybe some file storage, and I may stop CS:S for another game (UT2K4, CD2, etc.) but nothing too power hungry.
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: Dual PIII Server

Doesn't sound too bad too me.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

If you run linux and have a dedicated server going, you should be able to get away with around 800mhz. Remember on dual processors, your 2nd processor runs around 60% of optimal usage. So in reality, if you're running around 650mhz, you're only going to have about a ghz.
    I would suggest for shooting at 800 mhz for linux, or above a ghz for windows server.

Another thing to thing about would be the raid array. Almost all boxed servers of this age range have scsi or scsi wide and a raid controller. It might not be a bad idea to turn this into your fileserver as well.

If these servers are p3 xeons, then sink the extra money. They might not be upgradeable anymore, but that extra cache will pay for itself.

You will also have to get ECC sdram. Most dual proc server boards of this age require ECC ram to run. If you're serious about running a server 24/7, then this isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't suggest less than a gig.

Another thing to look for is modular power supplies and a backup power supply. Some servers use proprietary power units, some don't. Some also have 2 psu units just in case of failure of one.

Also, invest in a UPS. Protect yourself.

Another thing you might want to think about is getting a gbe card & switch if you're planning on putting this online. Dedicated game servers create massive amounts of network traffic. How that translates to your WAN/Internet, I don't know. All my experience has been with a gaming cafe's LAN and servers.

You don't have to implement all these things at once, do it over the course of a year or so when you can and by the end of it you will have a rockin' server that will last you another 3 to 5 years for dirt cheap.

Thanks for the help nil, and here are some more specifics.

1. Yes it will be Linux, probably Ubuntu or Fedora, because those are the only CDs I can find right now :p.

2. I don't know much about RAID and I only plan on having 1 drive anyways. If I do put files on it, it will only be very important stuff or stuff I want but not on my regular computer.

3. I don't know if they are Xeons, I'm probably going to email the seller and get more info about it.

4. Everything I'm looking at is either a full system, or bare minimum Mobo, CPUs, and RAM. I don't think I need to worry about compatibility that much, except the HDDs. I'll probably be able to find a SCSI at a local computer shop by me, or I'll just eBay it.

5. I probably won't spend the extra money on a modular PSU (even though my Hiper is really nice...).

6. UPS, definite possibility.

7. This will probably be a server just for me and my friends to play on, so I'm not worried about lots of traffic.

Edit: Also, what do you think would be the bare minimum for running CS 1.6? I could probably get away with something pretty old for that, right?
    RIP Bucko

1.6? Yea, an dual 500 mhz can run a linux server like a champ. Or an 800 mhz single proc with high l2 cache.

As for the PSU issue, sometimes the psu units you get in these units are defective and can be unique and hard to find.

Olders SCSI drives can be found on ebay for a good cheap price. If you're only interested in running a server, you can get away with 2 36gb raptors in a raid 0 configuration.

Another option is buying a 2ghz with ddr400 for around the same price considering the shipping costs of a server this size & weight.
    Plus, a lot of modern motherboards have simple raid controllers via IDE, which would be easier & cheaper to find than SCSI drives.

If you want to see what's available around you, look up computer recycler in the yellow pages of your phone book. Give them a call. A lot of these companies do reselling of older equipment, and you might be able to pick up a system that will take care of what you need for a lot cheaper and easier than eBay.

The item I'm watching now is $2.00 (lol) with 4 days left. Flat shipping $15 to the lower 48. It's only the Mobo/CPU/RAM so I figure I'll take a look at it, buy a HDD and PSU (doubt I'll need a CD drive for it, and if I do, I have a spare) and I'll be set. I have a feeling this will be mainly a 1.6 server, because most of my friends computers can't play Source. I just like having the option for UT2K4 or Source in case they decide to build or upgrade (which a lot of them are). A guy at a computer store by me has a lot of old crap, and I'm sure if I do need anything else, I can get it from him. He had a SCSI drive, and actually gave it to me, but I had no use for it, so I just gave it back, and I might be able to get it out of the server he setup there that I don't think is being used.
    RIP Bucko