Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XBOX controller mod

Default Re: XBOX controller mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
    i challenge that, it did do ****. i rewired it and am using the Xbox live headset as i'm typing this. I'm guessing it's for certain USB connections only. Ones with a Blue cable are the ones where you have to hook up the white wire to the yellow one. Just a heads up for anyone who might be having the same problem =] Some people say that the yellow wire is for the Rumble, other says it's for the Xbox to pick up that a controller is plugged in. I'm guessing that was the problem. The yellow wire wasn't hooked up and the USB couldn't pick up anything connected. The signal was there but when the yellow wire was checked nothing was getting through so it gave me a malfunction error.

All that matters is that the problem is solved and that if people have the same problem they know what to do =]
    Are you using a stock xbox controller or 3rd party? I've read that certain 3rd party controllers don't follow the normal wiring scheme hence the reason why wires need to be switched. I'm glad you found your fix.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Just in case, this helped me.

When I first downloaded the driver, restarted my computer, and plugged in my gamepad I got an error. To fix this, all I had to do was go to System>Hardware>Device Manager>Opened up the USB with the problem>updated my driver using the driver that I just installed. After that, it worked like a charm.

As for the different colored wires? I haven't a clue, mine is a microsoft made controller and the USB cable I used was for my old wireless device. It was like the same shape as the ones for PSP's, whatever you call those. It had all the colors and an extra yellow one. Which I snipped off as I didn't need it. The thing that I would guess with different colored wires... is that they are just different colored but they are for the same thing. Thats how my Bose system was. You just had to figured out which wire was for what and not think about the colors when they didn't match up. ie trial and error.

Glad to hear you fixed it Ronyx! Have you played any games with it yet? Once I get my HSF and GPU, a couple of us here on TBCS should play some WarRock together with our new gamepads! :p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Ok, so I got the wiring fixed. Damn soldering gun pissed me off. I even got the controller working, and played a round of war rock. I got owned! I think I might need to turn up the mouse sensitivity. All that's left to do is test it on the xbox to make sure it still works there, and then put the plastic back on.

+rep to Omega for recommending ControlMK.

Ok i'll try to explain, i just woke up so i might be a bit confusing so hear me out here. The Xbox controller has two bits, the end connector with it's own small piece of wire which can come off connected to the main wire and subsequently the Xbox controller. A long time ago i bought Spiderman 2 and it came with a custom controller. I used the end bit from the Spiderman controller and hooked it up to a normal Xbox controller. Does that make sense?
    I'm guessing that's what screwed up, if what you say is true then the custom end bit has some weird wiring and that's why it couldn't pick up the controller.

I also have an Xbox live headset (my subscription ended at the start of 2007), and i don't have a decent microphone for my computer. Then i saw this thread and voila, problem solved. Now my only question is. ALL the sound goes into my Xbox communicator instead of my speakers. How can i make it so that only certain programs transmit sound into my Xbox communicator while others send the sound into the Logitech speakers? Basically i want to have Team Speak running and all the sounds sent from the program sent into my headset while my normal game music (be it WarRock, MU or WoW) sent to my normal speakers? Anyone know how this can be done?

I was now thinking of maybe getting Halo on PC and playing with the controller in that. Although i am way faster with a mouse then i am with a stick...

P.S. I'm guessing the next step for me would be to create an Xbox USB cable. I have all the appropriate parts. Lucky for me my dad let me use a USB extension cable which had a male and a female end. I cut it in half and used the male for the controller mod. Now it's time to use the female for a USB - Xbox mod. Lucky for me i just ripped the wires off the insides of the plug and soldered the wires from my USB to my controller, much simpler and also because i didn't have a dremel. Now if i'm lucky i'll somehow get that hooked into my Xbox and just solder the female USB to it and not have to kill another poor controller for my devious deeds lolz.

Sorry for the long post, like i said i just woke up. I tend to babble a bit...
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Really weird... XBCD works just fine, but ControlMK wont work for me anymore? I checked to see if the drivers were installed and they are. I even uninstalled and then reinstalled. I don't know whats with that... but without ControlMK I don't know how to program the controller. Any ideas?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

In case no one has posted the link to ControlMK
    here it is: ControlMK
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Ronyx.. there's supposed to be something in control panel to correct the audio problem. I dont have my headset near me to figure it out ATM though. SnowFire.. not sure what could be going on there. I actually had a problem where my mouse pointer went away until I did a system restore back before I installed xbcd and controlmk. Try that.. it may work.

Fresh Paint

Hmm maybe i should do this with one of my older controllers thats slowly braking. I dont have a soldering thingy though. It would be pretty useful since I have a N64emulator on my PC and playing Diddy Kong Racing with keyboard is a little harder than with a controller. lol.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I got an xbox controller form a friend last night for free but the end is round, about the size of an s-video end. will this still work?

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

That's the quick disconnect, aka the break away cable. You need the other piece of it to use on an Xbox. If your gonna hack a USB cable on it then it will be fine.

-CollinstheClown