Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XBOX controller mod

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: XBOX controller mod

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    Why not make left click the left trigger, and right click the right trigger. Save the buttons for something like changing weapons or getting in vehicles.

With ControlMK, you can run multiple profiles. I have one for internet browsing and media, where the following settings are:

Left Thumbstick: Mouse
    Right Thumbstick: Up, Down, Left and Right keys, each in their own respective direction
    +-pad up: Play/Pause
    Pad Down: Stop
    Pad right: Next song
    Pad Left: Last song
    Start: Volume Up
    Back: Volume Down
    A Button: Left Click
    B Button: Right Click
    Y Button: Mute
    X Button: Middle Mouse
    Black Button: Browser Back
    White Button: Browser Forward
    Right trigger: Enter

For WoW, I use completely different things. For instance, I programmed the +-Pad for the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8 number keys (for hotbar skills), and other things that make sense for WoW. If I still played FPSes (which I don't with xBox controllers lol) I would make it different for those, too. And once you make the profile and save it, you can switch it on the go.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    It should work? we aren't using joysticks. Were using modded xbox controllers in place of our keyboards and mice. It's like if we set the A button to left mouse click (fire), the game reads it as if we were pushing the left mouse button. So... in theory, it should work. Hopefully it doesn't pick it up as a joystick!
    Actually, the XBox controller is a gamepad. The only thing that allows you to use it otherwise is ControlMK or a similar application. With the XBCD Drivers, it treats the xBox controller like the Gamepad it is, and ControlMK just emulates any other actions.

So, if you're playing a game that allows joysticks, you can either use Keyboard/Mouse emulation or true Joystick use.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    Actually, when I took the pics last night, the white wire snapped off. Then the tip on my soldering gun snapped in 2 pieces. I have the soldering gun rigged so I might try and take a shot at getting things cleaned up tonight.
    That's unfortuneate. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
    i am DEFINITELY gonna do this =D
    as soon as i can find....now where did that spare USB cable go....
    It's definately worth it. The hard part, I'd say, is putting the wires together if you don't have the proper tools (which I don't, I stripped wire with my teeth and attached the wires with masking tape.... I'll redo it some time).

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    It's definately worth it. The hard part, I'd say, is putting the wires together if you don't have the proper tools (which I don't, I stripped wire with my teeth and attached the wires with masking tape.... I'll redo it some time).
    LoL

Thats how I put my $1k Bose System together!

Actually I did that for this mod too, my wire strippers don't have small enough stripping holes for the tiny wires.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    LoL

Thats how I put my $1k Bose System together!

Actually I did that for this mod too, my wire strippers don't have small enough stripping holes for the tiny wires.
    I really wish I had converted the normal little dongle though, because the controller I'm using is mediocre (it's my 4 or 5-year old one) and with the dongle, I could use anything, practically.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I have a pair or Wireless controllers from logitech that are sweet as hell. But for some reason they didn't want to make it so they separate like most other Xbox controllers do. They probably aren't USB interface anyways.

**I just tested out Tony Hawk Pro 4 (shut it, it was free) with the gamepad and I have to admit, using the gamepad is WAY more fun that using a Keyboard and mouse.

I can't wait to try out WarRock (if it works).
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

i just did mine, soldered the wires correctly and followed the instructions but when i try to plug it in (after i've installed the drivers) windows says "this USB device has malfunctioned". Anyone else have this problem? What can i do to fix this?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

one more thing, i've read that you could hookup the white USB wire and yellow Xbox wire and that solved the problem for some people.

could the fact that my USB didn't have a black wire but instead had a blue wire affect this? i hooked up the blue to black wires. now i'm off to try switching the white to yellow connection.

White to yellow will not do ****...

The White Wire is Data-, a USB Standard. The Yellow wire is only a relay used for lightguns and is relatively useless (why it's on normal controllers, I have no idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
    i just did mine, soldered the wires correctly and followed the instructions but when i try to plug it in (after i've installed the drivers) windows says "this USB device has malfunctioned". Anyone else have this problem? What can i do to fix this?
    I had the same problem with my flash drive. I don't know why, but it didn't work in 2 of my moms USB ports. I guess, just try plugging it in to a different one, and see how that works.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    White to yellow will not do ****...

The White Wire is Data-, a USB Standard. The Yellow wire is only a relay used for lightguns and is relatively useless (why it's on normal controllers, I have no idea)
    i challenge that, it did do ****. i rewired it and am using the Xbox live headset as i'm typing this. I'm guessing it's for certain USB connections only. Ones with a Blue cable are the ones where you have to hook up the white wire to the yellow one. Just a heads up for anyone who might be having the same problem =] Some people say that the yellow wire is for the Rumble, other says it's for the Xbox to pick up that a controller is plugged in. I'm guessing that was the problem. The yellow wire wasn't hooked up and the USB couldn't pick up anything connected. The signal was there but when the yellow wire was checked nothing was getting through so it gave me a malfunction error.

All that matters is that the problem is solved and that if people have the same problem they know what to do =]