Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please assist me in Linux Installation.

Default Re: Please assist me in Linux Installation.

Also, so you aren't completely lost after the install, here is a few useful tid-bits of information.

1. sudo. sudo will get you temporary root access. Use sudo in front of another command, such as "sudo apt-get install <package_name>"
    2. apt-get install. This will be your main means of installing packages in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a Debian derivative and that means it uses the same installation means.
    3. sudo su. Complete and total rootness. 1337.
    4. cd /file/path. If you ever need to go into a directory, this is how. cd, then the path to the directory. "cd /home/blah/games/file"

Those are my most frequently used commands. Do a Google for a complete list of commands and their uses.
    RIP Bucko

Anodized

I'm stuck at the partitinioning part of the installation. Just one question and i'll be done with it: Does Linux work with NTFS partitions?

Quote Originally Posted by Doomfest View Post
    I'm stuck at the partitinioning part of the installation. Just one question and i'll be done with it: Does Linux work with NTFS partitions?
    Not really.. you cannot install your OS on NTFS, but it will read NTFS partitions. Write support to NTFS is buggy and unstable, so NTFS partitions are mounted Read Only.

IMO, the best thing to do if you want to share data with read/write is to make a FAT32 partition just for data.

NTFS writing is possible, but AFAIK it's still not 100% stable. I won't risk it, since a failed write to your NTFS partition can bork your windows installation.

My own dual boot system had one 40GB drive, split 20/20 for XP and Linux, then two 80GB drives, (one IDE one SATA) for data such as media and photos.

Anodized

I haven't done this before, but is it possible to have a NTFS partition (windows) and a fat32 partition (linux) on the same hard drive?

Yes, that is what I'm doing right now. I think that if you use the instructions I posted, it will give you that option in on of the install steps.

I take it you mean you're stuck freeing space on your hard drive? Have you already done that, or not? If not, then download some software, and you should have 2 chunks of hard drive space. 1 with Windows, one called "Unused" or "'Raw" or something like that. Then, during the install, you need to select the "Unused partition, and make another chunk out of that called about 1 gb using the "linux-swap" file type. Then, take the remaining chunk and use all of that and make it use the "ext3" file type. Then, select your Windows partition, and have it use the "/" file type. Then, it should work.
    RIP Bucko

Austral Alien

After getting the ****s with XP during my recent reinstall, I've decided to download Ubuntu and have a crack at it on my laptop. I don't use the lappy much, except when my main PC is down and I figure learning a different operating system is a good use of it.
    I'm downloading Ubuntu now, and I'll have a play once I burn it onto a CD.

Just remember to burn it as an ISO, don't just copy the ISO file to the disc.

I'm sure you know how, but just in case...
    http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/ubuntu/burn

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

Austral Alien

Yes, I saw that. I'm reading up on what is needed for the install.

I've been playing with Red Hat at work a little lately, so I thought I may as well give this a go.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but what about a dual boot with separate hdd's? Would the install be the same?