Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Console and PC Games: A Newbie's Questions

That's classified.

Default Re: Console and PC Games: A Newbie's Questions

Thanks for going above and beyond for my stupid questions!*

Whats the difference between progressive and interlaced? (p & i)

I think in order to access 1920 x 1080 you need the HD AV component cables, which backs up what i read on a couple of web sites before i purchased my VGA cables..
    That's not much of a problem because if I was to get a 24" LCD (which is the smallest size that can display 1080) they all have component inputs.

On a 1920 x 1200 LCD do you think it will stretch it to fit or leave bars on the top and bottom?

BTW, How'd the 360 look on the CRT? Did you try any widescreen resolutions?

*I would give +rep but I have to "spread it around" to give you any more. lol :p

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    On a 1920 x 1200 LCD do you think it will stretch it to fit or leave bars on the top and bottom?

BTW, How'd the 360 look on the CRT? Did you try any widescreen resolutions?

*I would give +rep but I have to "spread it around" to give you any more. lol :p
    Im not sure if it would stretch or not. I dont really know how LCD monitors work in that situation. Im sure someone around here could answer that question though.

The 360 looked pretty good on my CRT. The image seemed a lot crisper than it was on my SDTV. My resolution was 1024 x 768 so it was a bit higher than a standard TV. Im not really the best resource for info on image quality though because i have a hard time seeing the differences.

As far as wide screen on a monitor you will probably want to go with a wide screen monitor.

As far as 1080i vs 1080p its pretty simple. 1080i is Interlaced (hence the 'i') wich means that when the monitor displays the image it refreshes only half of the lines per pass, so it takes two passes to refresh an image.

1080p is progressive scan which means that it refreshes all of the lines in a single pass.

1080p gives a smoother clearer image.

I hope that is a good explenation, im sure someone else could explain it better. ill see if i have a link that i can post up.

Edit: this link may help. Its about hdtv resolutions
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

That's classified.

Im not sure if it would stretch or not. I dont really know how LCD monitors work in that situation. Im sure someone around here could answer that question though.
    That's OK, I found what I was looking for.

As far as wide screen on a monitor you will probably want to go with a wide screen monitor.
    Of course, of course...

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Im glad you found what you were looking for : ).
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyer View Post
    I just got a new PC and i have been downloading Game Demos like crazy:

Halo one
    WOW, OMG! I just finished the Halo demo! Actually, that's the first game I've Finished EVER! !!!

Sorry, went kinda' nuts there. :p I can't wait until they update the 360 with 65nm as I want to be the first person to get it!

On another note, now I know why it's called Halo; the planet/space station is in the shape of a ring, i'e. "Halo"

EDIT: By the way, I ran it on the Toshiba PC w/ integrated graphics at 1024x768 on a 1440x900 LCD. It lagged during fast motion but worked enough to play. Great theme song too.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Congratulations, welcome to the "World of Video Gaming," I'm not sure where the exit is, but you most likely won't want to leave. Heck, I've been playing games since we first got C&C Red Alert when I was in Kindergarten or 1st Grade. It's all about having fun, there's your one and only "rule" for gaming. Well, you could add "Don't ruin it for others" too, but I don't think you need to worry about that one.

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by ajutz21 View Post

Congratulations, welcome to the "World of Video Gaming," I'm not sure where the exit is, but you most likely won't want to leave. Heck, I've been playing games since we first got C&C Red Alert when I was in Kindergarten or 1st Grade. It's all about having fun, there's your one and only "rule" for gaming. Well, you could add "Don't ruin it for others" too, but I don't think you need to worry about that one.
    Lucky; I played my first PC game when I was in 5th grade and before that I only had a B&W GameBoy.

I've heard about some people doing mods to games/consoles so they have an edge such as unlimited ammo. That's what you mean by ruining it for others, right?