Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vista

Default Re: Microsoft Vista

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    There's no such thing as 'free' in this world.
    I beg to differ

ESPECIALLY with MS.
    But I agree there.

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    hahah I was going to post the EXACT same thing!
    Ubuntu was great for me until I broke the Xserver and dry-raped the kernal with a rusty iron bar.

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout View Post
    hahah I was going to post the EXACT same thing!
    Ubuntu was great for me until I broke the Xserver and dry-raped the kernal with a rusty iron bar.
    I am sure the Kernel would have given up the special seasoning recipe without going to that extreme...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    I am sure the Kernel would have given up the special seasoning recipe without going to that extreme...
    LMAO.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    But of course. After all, it is open sauce!

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    But of course. After all, it is open sauce!
    That was the worst joke I have EVER heard.
    Congratulations, you win at t'interweb!

Now then,
    Am I correct in saying, that if I plug my new raptor hard drive into another SATA slot, and keep my old drive in, I can then change it through bios so that my raptor is my primary drive, and my current drive is just a secondary hard drive.
    Then I can install vista on the new drive without worrying about 'backing up' my files, as they will all be on the other hard drive, and if I have any trouble with vista I can switch my other drive to master and run my old (current) xp OS?
    Thanks!
    H

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout View Post
    That was the worst joke I have EVER heard.
    Congratulations, you win at t'interweb!

Now then,
    Am I correct in saying, that if I plug my new raptor hard drive into another SATA slot, and keep my old drive in, I can then change it through bios so that my raptor is my primary drive, and my current drive is just a secondary hard drive.
    Then I can install vista on the new drive without worrying about 'backing up' my files, as they will all be on the other hard drive, and if I have any trouble with vista I can switch my other drive to master and run my old (current) xp OS?
    Thanks!
    H
    Like a dual-boot with Vista and XP? I don't think you should have any problem with that, if it's anything like a Linux dual-boot you should just have the option where you would like to install it, and you could probably just choose the Raptor drive as your partition, leaving the other one alone.
    RIP Bucko

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Like a dual-boot with Vista and XP? I don't think you should have any problem with that, if it's anything like a Linux dual-boot you should just have the option where you would like to install it, and you could probably just choose the Raptor drive as your partition, leaving the other one alone.
    Ok good good I'll do that!

I installed vista on my laptop (ASUS A6km) and it only took 15 mins or less!
    However, the 'windows user experience index' pos which checks your hardware and decides whether you can run aero or not, can't work out how much dedicated and shared graphics memory I have, and as a result I have a base score of...... 1.0

It's driving me mad, I have a Geforce 7300GO with 256mb of dedicated memory and it can't work out how much memory is there!
    Anyone know how to override the user experience index thing?

Thanks,
    H

Edit:
    I grabbed a driver with a modded inf from laptopvideo2go.com and it worked perfectly!
    My vista experience index:
    Laptop:
    Processor: 3.7
    Memory: 4.1
    Desktop Graphics: 3.0
    Gaming Graphics: 3.2
    Hard drive: 3.9

Desktop:
    Processor: 4.2
    Memory: 5.1
    Desktop Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming Graphics: 5.9
    Hard drive: 5.9

Aero glass is nothing short of Beautiful. If it had a vagina...
    I think I've said enough.

H

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I have a builder's copy of XP Pro that I could put on any PC as many times as I want. No Vista for me...
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Case Wizard

So I didn't want to start a new thread about Vista and DX10 gaming so I'm going to put it here if it is alright.

So I know DX10 is the next "big thing" and it is supposed to be awesome (supposedly). But I haven't seen any real comparisons between the DX9 and DX10. All I have seen is the new features that DX10 will bring along, like the geometry shader and such. Also, the DX10 games will still be able to be played on Windows XP. Which is a reason why a lot of people are telling me to wait for things with Vista to really smooth out with Service Pack 1 or when more games feature DX10.

Anyways, I was browsing the net and came upon this article in Gamespot. I thought it was just going to be another article among the many on the web comparing the performace between XP and Vista. But they had picture comparisons (I like how they do the rollover images). Maybe there has already been a whole bunch of image comparisons and I just haven't looked hard enough... But I was so excited when I saw this! (Gamespot Article Link)

I hope this post was useful. I just really wanted to share it, even if it might be old news to many of you....