Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another Q: molex to usb?

Fresh Paint

Default another Q: molex to usb?

hi, im wondering if i can convert a male molex connector(from a psu) to a female usb connector and still get 5v. im making a test psu and i want to have usb testing capabilities for it. thanks. and also if it is possible, can anyone tell me how? lots of thanks.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: another Q: molex to usb?

Surely to know if the usb peripheral is working it'd need to go through a PC, not just straight to the power supply? Unless it was one of those cup warmers you can get.
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

Fresh Paint

actually i need it for my usb vacuum cleaner to clean my pc even if the pc is turned off(hence the test psu iam making, not the psu of the pc itself)

I'm not sure if it's possible without some serious hacking and tweaking.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the PSU is a very dangerous device to play around with, and you seem like you need to do a lot more research before you start.

Look up electronics on Wikipedia, then hit up some PSU guides. You're going to need a +5V and a -5V to get a USB calbe powered, and you only have a +5V on a Molex, unless i'm mistaken.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

D'Oh

hmm.. you wanna make a usb that connects to the psu directly.. why not? simply take a male molex and wire the red and black wires to the red and black wires in the usb cable, ignoring the white and green... use a spare usb cable and a spare adapter or molex or anything that fits..

edit:
    didn't see the post above.. timing
    the usb uses just a +5V, no differetial power input, because you would get 10V.. and smoke or at least that's what my multimeter tells me..
    Last edited by dgrmkrp; 01-14-2007 at 09:48 AM.

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Fresh Paint

hmmm, 2 contradicting posts above so a little confused... is there a go signal then? should i do it?

D'Oh

well.. davew is right.. without knowledge of how psus work.. things get dangerous.. study, read..
    but still, it's as simple as taking the 2 wires and using them.. carefully of course, if you need the data wires ... but if u don't

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Fresh Paint

ok great! so although its dangerous to work with PSUs, its possible to do this convert. so thanks for the help guys, and for the go signal.

and for the go signal.
    We aren't giving you the go signal, we're not responsible in any way if you blow your arms off. I warned you against it.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    We aren't giving you the go signal, we're not responsible in any way if you blow your arms off. I warned you against it.

-Dave
    Hear Hear!

I don't want anyone to fight a legal battle against TBCS cos some youngen blows there arms off lol!

-gaz