Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project XBlueXmodX

Overclocked

Default Re: Project XBlueXmodX

im thinking about getting a chip

was it hard to solder?because im not that good at it and i dont want to mess up my box

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

I wasn't meaning to promote it in any way. Just documenting my build of an Xbox, since it's different from PCs. BTW, this modchip isn't the only thing I'm doing to it.

SPOILRZ!!1 :

I'm gonna do a case and cold cathodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

I wasn't meaning to promote it in any way. Just documenting my build of an Xbox, since it's different from PCs. BTW, this modchip isn't the only thing I'm doing to it.
    It's ok, you can continue with your hardware side stuff. But just don't go into the software side.

So basically you pay for the RIGHT to OWN the xbox, IF you don't modify it's PROGRAMMING?

I mean.. Is the law gonna come bust down my door if I change the OS on my xbox? If so, then that legislation needs to get CHECKED. Sometimes I hate microsoft, but like you said THIS is a business site, so I will refrain from my wanton rant. It's useless anyway..

-Jeremy
    You own the XBox. That includes the hard drive and all the hardware parts. But you are not allowed to modify any of their code. Changing the OS would be legal on a PC, but the modchips don't work the same way, they have to re-use a lot of MS's code, which they don't like. Unless that code is released under the GPL or another open-source licence, you have no right to edit it/re-use it, any more than you have a right to crack a game.

In the UK, it's illegal to unlock mobile phones and put mod chips into consoles for these reasons.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

That's why I skipped the software side, and didn't reveal which BIOS and Dashboard I'm using, for both are illegal for other sites to host. I just mentioned all the info on how to get it can be found on Google.

I just mentioned all the info on how to get it can be found on Google.
    That's fine with me. It's like talking about Limewire. Limewire is legal software. Just don't talk about downloading illegal stuff with it.

-Dave

So feeasibly if a mod-chip was able to utilize a LINUX build, and still retain the functionality of the modded MS software, it would not be illegal?
    Technically, it would still be illegal. That would be like re-shooting Star Wars and not paying Lucasarts a big fat royalty check.

If it did something different with the Linux Hardware, eg: Allowed you run MAME on it, then that would be perfectly legal-assuming you owned the ROM's. Some ROMs you can now acquire legally too.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    So feeasibly if a mod-chip was able to utilize a LINUX build, and still retain the functionality of the modded MS software, it would not be illegal?
    There is some information on the legality of modchips on this site.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/modchip. One thing that stood out was this excerpt:

Quote Originally Posted by Answers.com
    Many companies are now selling modchips without any possibly DMCA-infringing BIOS code loaded onto the EEPROM portion of the chip module, or loading it with a totally legal BIOS containing none of the manufacturer's copyrighted code (for example the Cromwell BIOS developed by the Xbox Linux Project). It is then up to the customer to separately obtain a copy of their desired (possibly illegal) firmware and then to flash it into EEPROM.
    The main thing is like Dave said.. At the point you load one of these non-infringing BIOS's it ceases to be usesd as an XBOX and just becomes a piece of hardware.

Update:

I uploaded the Avalaunch dashboard to the Xbox, instead of EvoX. I've been having problems with it. And the only time I'll have to deal with EvoX again is when I make a boot disc to format my new bigger hard drive, which I'll try to do tomorrow. My dad did want me in bed at 11, so I'm goin' to bed and gonna wake up at 6 and get started again.

You know us modders, once we get started, there's no stoppin' us!

Just got an 80 gig Maxtor HDD installed and formatted in the Xbox. Now I can rip DVD movies and Xbox games without a worry about space. the move from 8 GB to 80 GB is gonna rock! I'll throw on all the emulators, ROMs, plugins, music, media players, etc. later. I'll try to get pics after work.

My mod will keep it an xbox; it'll still run Xbox games on the CD's and runs 'em off of the hard drive as well. It just adds more functions like you said, Minty. It doesn't take away what makes it an Xbox; just gives it more features.