Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: USMC case

Default Re: USMC case

damm sorry to hear it. it was looking wicked.
    Alberta Stoner.
    P4 3.0ghz 630 lga775
    Liquid cooled
    1gb ddr2 pc4200
    Ultra Xfinitiy 600w psu
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    Evga Geforce 7300 GS

Ouch...man...

... Hard luck dude...hope you don't lose face.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Ouch...man...

... Hard luck dude...hope you don't lose face.

-Dave
    In modding it's not about losing face, but about losing Faith
    We live, we learn
    Next one will kill

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Well Sarge,
    As a retired MSgt from the Air Force, I have to tell you I have always been impressed with the sharp uniforms of the Marine Corps. I think this mod is going to look fantastic and the mouse is a great idea as well. Good luck with getting it redone and can't wait to see the case when you are done. Your mock-up looked like the sharp clean lines of the uniform pants and it is a great idea.

Agnat

Hey thanks MSgt, welcome to TBCS, and thanks for your service to our Country. The Blues could be uncomfortable, but damnit, I made them look good.. or something like that.

I'm really looking forward to making more progress on this. I'm going to try and get over to the shop this weekend and get the case sanded (this build will primarily take place in my Dad's shop). I'm almost certain that I'm going to do away with the 3.5" drive bay, and make brackets so I can house the hard drives in the 5.25" bay. Gotta see about getting my hands on some U shaped aluminum. Keep watching.

Who's this good lookin son of a gun?

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Hey man,

Don't stress about it. I come across like I just learned to paint sometimes. I've been doing it on and off for years.

I've ruined a ton of stuff. Hell I got a PS2 controller I tried to paint a couple of months ago that I ruined.

I have learned some things about salvaging a project.

If the paint is still gooey, you can go ahead and scrape it off. If not just leave it. Walk away from this part of the project at least for a couple of days. This helps tremendously. The time off gives you time to cool off mentally and it lets the paint cure the way it's supposed to.

Once the paint is hard. Sand with like 320 grit and then go down to 600 grit. Sand in between the buttons. This is where too much paint can screw you.

Then prime again and start from scratch.

I was rushing some of my latest projects and the clear coat was doing all sorts of weird sh!t. I finally came to simple realization of following the time between coats guidelines, on the can, actually works.

For aluminum, go to Home Depot and look in the roofing section. There is all sorts of hidden stuff back there: Wire mesh, Aluminum Sheets in all sizes. It really is a gold mine.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Oh yeah, thats a good looking MC Ball photo.

Thanks for the support and good comments everyone. I started work on the mouse again today. I also got the case sanded, made lines for the window, and drilled pilot holes to start cutting. I forgot to take my camera to the shop, so I'll have to update those pics later. For now, here are some new pictures of the mouse rework. First, I sanded everything back down to the plastic with 400, and now here it is after 2 coats of flat black. Sorry about the pic quality. Time to charge the batteries I guess.

Nice recovery, are you going to use the black this time? Just curious because I liked it better than the red, it seems to fit perfectly with the gold on that emblem.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Nice recovery, are you going to use the black this time? Just curious because I liked it better than the red, it seems to fit perfectly with the gold on that emblem.
    Thanks Jon. Actually, I have to thank Commando for the suggestion to use red. The mouse is still going to be red, but the black is the base coat. That's how I did the first one. I'm just hoping the color matches so I don't have to strip the buttons and redo them. That would sux major! Hopefully we'll know soon.