Thread: Case mod help

Fresh Paint

Default Case mod help

Hi... as of late I have been really interested in doing a case mod to my PC. The only probelm is, I have never done one and don't have much knowledge of the field. Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere where i could learn more about taking apart computers, handling all the parts right, etc.? What would be great is some guide for taking apart the inside of the computer and such. Are there classes I should take? any help would be great.

Default Re: Case mod help

There are a couple of books on the subject that would help. Try any of the pc's for dummies books and Sam's publishing makes great line of books called "Upgrading your PC made Easy" Or something similar.

In general keep in mind a few things;

1. The power inside a computer can kill you! Make sure it is unplugged before taking any panels off. Even after unplugging the power supply, it will still hold a charge strong enough to kill you. Don't mess with the power supply unless you know what you are doing.

2. You can damage pc electronics simply by touching them. Make sure you wear a static wristband to prevent ESD damage. At the very least, touch the metal screw on the _outside_ of a wall plate to discharge the static.

3. Remember where you took something out of. If you will not be putting it right back in, make a note of what was plugged into it (use masking tape to mark the cables if you have to), and _where_ it was plugged in. This is where a digital camera will come in handy or even a notepad.

4. Take notes...

5. Remeber that the voltage inside the power supply can kill you!

Ok now that I have your attention, Have fun! Don't worry! And tear it apart!

I really would suggest a beginner to intermediate book, check the back of the book, most technical books will tell you the knowledge level of the intended reader.

OH, and BUY PAUL'S BOOK!
    http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Guide-...e=UTF8&s=books
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    4. Take notes...
    In addition (suggestion):

You could take pictures too and lots of them. This is an alternative because you might not know what everything is called, but you remember what it looks like. For example, this might help for connecting the front panel connections back to the motherboard after you took everything apart.
    Also, if you need help, you could post the pictures in the forum and we could help you.

Anodized

Yes, and please watch out for that devilish ESD (electro-static discharge)
    When holding chips of any sort, try not to touch any of the soldering points or anything like that.

-But when it really comes down to it, you can mess with things quite a bit.
    Just never be too affraid to learn as much about your PC as possible. It's
    the best thing you can ever do for yourself...

ATX Mental Case

When I took apart my first computer I took pictures of every connection, and wrote on every lead! It dosen't hurt to be over prepared!