Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should you backup files

Fresh Paint

Default How should you backup files

I backup all my file to another HD that i put up

I just want to know what is the best way to backup files so they want get corrupted.
    Current Rig - APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-CRUISERBlack case, AMD Athlon X2 3800+, ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2gb Dual Channel DDR400, 2 x XFX 7900GT Extreme 256mb, Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA HD1, Maxtor 80gb HD2, Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: How should you backup files

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhate View Post
    I backup all my file to another HD that i put up

I just want to know what is the best way to backup files so they want get corrupted.
    I like norton ghost 2003, it hasn't failed me as of yet.

There are programs that exist that do routine backups for you to tape drives or hard drives, but these are expensive and require some training to work with properly.

There is no 'best' way to do it. If you perform your backup manually, make sure you're overwriting the old files, not your updated files.

If it's your operating system you're backing up, a ghosting program is your best bet. Norton Ghost is the most well known and you have a higher chance of getting questions/problems answered with Ghost than any other ghost program.

If you're worried about file integrity, then there are programs that can create checksums to help verify the files you backup are intact. WinRar is a common compression tool that also has checksums. The one I use is called QuickSFV and can create .sfv and .md5 file checksums.

What OS are you running? Are you just backing up docs, music, and pics? Do you want to backup the whole OS? nil8 gave you some good info. + rep to him. If you are wanting to Ghost the whole drive, you need to use the sysprep tool found on the OS Disk. Here's a link that will help you with that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577/

XP and Vista have backup programs installed to creat automatic backups for you. They can be found under Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Backup. There is a wizard that opens and walks you through the whole process. This will also allow you to schedule backups. Let us know if you have other questions or concerns.

Anodized

hey guys,

I was just about to to post a new thread concerning this topic before I discovered someone had the same problem.
    I also need to know how to backup files. I've looked in my system tools (Win XP) and it seems that I dont have the "Backup option". But I checked on my brother's recently bought PC, and he does have the option to back up his files.
    I guess it comes with different versions of XP.

anyway, I'm getting very paranoid about my hdd crashing (seeing that its about 2.5 years old) and need a cheap and effective way to backup my files.
    At this point I want to backup my whole OS, but even if its just my pics and music, I guess it'll do.

Thanks to everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Theorem View Post
    hey guys,

I was just about to to post a new thread concerning this topic before I discovered someone had the same problem.
    I also need to know how to backup files. I've looked in my system tools (Win XP) and it seems that I dont have the "Backup option". But I checked on my brother's recently bought PC, and he does have the option to back up his files.
    I guess it comes with different versions of XP.

anyway, I'm getting very paranoid about my hdd crashing (seeing that its about 2.5 years old) and need a cheap and effective way to backup my files.
    At this point I want to backup my whole OS, but even if its just my pics and music, I guess it'll do.

Thanks to everyone here.
    To get the backup program you may need to install it from the CD. I was thinking it was par6t of the windows components install but could not find it in there.

EDIT: I was going to be a smart ass and suggest tar or cpio, but would only confuse the issue...
    Last edited by Airbozo; 01-10-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added smart ass remark
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

I back up docs, music, pics, apps and videos. I copy them to a spare HD so I can recopy them if I need to. I was going to try using FAT32 on the HD before I copy the files.
    Current Rig - APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-CRUISERBlack case, AMD Athlon X2 3800+, ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2gb Dual Channel DDR400, 2 x XFX 7900GT Extreme 256mb, Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA HD1, Maxtor 80gb HD2, Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

I wouldn't use FAT32. NTFS is a much better file system. In your situation, I would just use the backup utility that is built into Windows.

Anyway, if you've already formatted FAT32, and you want to convert to NTFS, you can do it safely without data loss. Be advised this is a ONE WAY process. You can not convert from NTFS back to FAT32 without formatting first (thus resulting in data loss).

Code:
    Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command: 

C:\> CONVERT  x:  /fs:ntfs
    Where x is in the file name, replace that with your drive letter.
    Linkage

When you open the backup utility, you will be greeted by a wizard

Select the backup type you want

Choose Drive and Folders

Choose which disk the backup should be saved to, and give your backup a name you recognise. It's also a good idea to include the date of the backup in the file name. After that, click next, then click finish, and your backup will start.

I hope this was helpful.

Nice tut there sgtm. Pictures always help. rep+

Sysprep was one of the executables I was talking about. Having someone with no experience using it doesn't often end well without a guide that's knowledgeable via cmd.

NTFS for the win. FAT32 isn't useful on modern equipment and definitely not for backup solutions.

You're right Airbozo, tar and tarball would just confuse people.

If you're running XP Home, you might not have the backup utility. Then again, you might. I don't know. I don't run XP home.

Another way to test is to go to start->run->ntbackup.exe
    If you get file not found, you don't have it installed. If you do, it will start the wizard.

There are a slew of freeware versions of ghosting programs, but most of them are more difficult to use properly than the windows backup utility.

Lots of people don't backup their data, so good for you on doing it. I'm glad we could help you with some info and the methods of use. Good luck and if you have any further comments or questions, don't hesitate to ask us.

Windows back up is definitely a good solution for the home users, but if you looking for more of a sync type backup. I use a couple of tools. SyncBack and I recently have started using SyncToy from Microsoft. They aren't as robust as NTBackup, but for alot of things I have found it to work very well. The basic jist is you can sync files to another source whether it is an internal drive, usb drive, or remote machine. I haven't used SyncToy much, since it was just released in October, but we use SyncBack alot at the office. It will do differential copies, or full copies, has FTP capability, schedules, etc. It might not be the perfect solution but its a good tool to have in your arsenal.