Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Project Karma

Default Re: Project Karma

Morning to all!

A while back, I mentioned that I bought all these LEDs from Ebay for dirt cheap, and the shipping/packaging was a joke. I also promised photos, but like so many other things, +excuse, +excuse.

Here's a photo.

Basically, they took 10 LEDs of each color and made a little bundle in bubble wrap, then dropped 10 bundles into a paper envelope with a piece of string tying it shut (not even tied shut properly) and shipped it from Hong Kong.

If I was working in customs, I would have instantly thought it was a package of drugs. Looked soooo dodgey.

Anyways, here's the plan for this morning...

4gb Pc-5300 ram, and a Pentium D 820 proc.

Wtf... Only detects 3.25gb? This board (MSI P965 Platinum) should support 8gb.. ok, time to start pulling sticks out one by one. I want to sort out the ram issue before I drop in the processor.. which is why it still shows as a 3.2ghz in case y'all were wondering.

Back with an update in a few mins....

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Is that 5 sticks??? IS THAT 5 GIGS??!?!

Nice setup man, glad to here that it's working with no DOAs. Great job so far, keep it up.
    Yessir.. 5 sticks. It's technically not all for one computer, but I am testing it all in this machine. There will only be 2gb into Karma, and the rest into other computers.

And I think that I've got my first DOA from the order.. one of the ram sticks only detects as 256mb. Swapped it out, and now Karma shows a full 4096mb. w000t!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I have the Scythe Katana cooler, that thing is a pain in the you-know-where to put in... it's angled too, which doesn't really work considering the fins are rubbing against the PSU, and if I rotate it 180*, it doesn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer122 View Post
    Wtf... Only detects 3.25gb? This board (MSI P965 Platinum) should support 8gb.. ok, time to start pulling sticks out one by one. I want to sort out the ram issue before I drop in the processor.. which is why it still shows as a 3.2ghz in case y'all were wondering.

Back with an update in a few mins....
    Umm.. just found this on another site:
    "Is there a maximum memory limit in WinXP? I know a 32bit CPU has a max memory limit of 3gb, but does WinXP 32 bit version have the same limit? What would happen if you installed WinXP (non 64 bit version) on a PC with over 3gb of memory would it work?

32bit CPU can't address more than 3gb ram? I've NEVER heard of this before, but I suppose it's possible..

Installing the D 820 proc now..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by ajutz21 View Post

I have the Scythe Katana cooler, that thing is a pain in the you-know-where to put in... it's angled too, which doesn't really work considering the fins are rubbing against the PSU, and if I rotate it 180*, it doesn't do anything.
    Yeah, this Freezer 7 pro is a pain also.. but at least I can get it installed without removing the board.

I'm going to have to pull the board to put on this ninja.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Anodized

32bit CPU can't address more than 3gb ram? I've NEVER heard of this before, but I suppose it's possible...
    I don't know what the 32bit limit is, but I know that there definitely is one. It is certainly possible that it could be 3GB. Your only way to get around it is to pick up a 64 bit processor. However, make sure that your motherboard supports 64-bit before you drop coin on a new CPU. Otherwise, you might end up with a CPU that won't work until you upgrade your motherboard.

N2OC10H12

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Yeah, this Freezer 7 pro is a pain also.. but at least I can get it installed without removing the board.

I'm going to have to pull the board to put on this ninja.

I had thought installing it on a Socket A mobo was awful, but with my LGA 775, I had to pull up the mobo, install these stupid side rail things, build a lot of crap onto the heatsink, and then manage to get it set on there correctly and lined up right so I can use these two other screws to hold it in. Talk about a PitA.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbox View Post
    I don't know what the 32bit limit is, but I know that there definitely is one. It is certainly possible that it could be 3GB. Your only way to get around it is to pick up a 64 bit processor. However, make sure that your motherboard supports 64-bit before you drop coin on a new CPU. Otherwise, you might end up with a CPU that won't work until you upgrade your motherboard.
    Well, i'm only going to be running 2gb in this system for now anyways, so it's not a big deal.

I've just installed the D-820, and testing now.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Here we go... new processor installed, and starting small on the overclock.

Not bad, not bad. What happens when we push the bus to 230?

Hmm.. If I overclock my x1950 using the catalyst tool.. and run aquamark...

Holy crap.. that's a new record for me!

And I'm still gonna push the CPU harder too..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

If I was working in customs, I would have instantly thought it was a package of drugs. Looked soooo dodgey.
    Yea, it does. It looks a whole lot like drugs with the eye. I'm sure the xray machine reveals a different tale.

I'm pumped to see this mod continue. Great artwork, good overclocking, this has the makings for a fantastic mod. rep+