Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking celeron d processor

Default Overclocking celeron d processor

Hey i have a celeron D processor running at 2.66GHz and i was wondering how much i could overclock it and keep it stable?
    Image to help

I have a 80mm fan at the font of my case and a 80mm fan at the back with stock heatsink and fan. I don't know if it counts but there is a duct on the side of the case that goes onto the cpu fan. I am also running 133 on my clock speed.I plan on overclocking from bios and changing my cpu fan soon.

Thanks in advance
    Vermillion.

Default Re: Overclocking celeron d processor

mmmm i remember i used to have that same chip probebly still got it actually I think i manged to get it to about 3ghz with the retail heatsink. But i changed the fan to one off those tornado fans that make a lot of nosie but offer suberb airflow.Best if you up the frequency a bit everytime and check the temperature then run a cpu demanding application to see if its stable.

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

Thanks so what if my ram is at 166MHz and i put my cpu clock to 166MHz will that make a noticeable difference in speed? I am playing on changing my fan to a Tt big typhoon Soon. Hope that will make more of a difference with cooling. Link to Tt big Typhoon

D'Oh

small advice: buy the typhon with a VR fan, as the original one has a quiet fan, but you can't turn it up.. for a nice overclock, go overkill and buy the VX model then you'll probably squeeze even more MHz out of it also, what type of mother you have? does it allow asynchronous clocking of the components e.g. FSB, ram speed, pcie speed..? this is very helfull

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

i have a cheap mainboard but i know that i can change my video card clock speed and ram clock as well as the cpu clock (of course) in the bios if that helps

D'Oh

errm... you said that you want the memory to run synchronous with the fsb, right? major improvement could happen if the cpu likes it.. so.. then you'll have a 20*166.. that's 3.3GHz.. highly do-able..
    if the silicone on the mobo and in the cpu allows it , maybe you can get to 20*200 still, could you put a pic up with the memory tab too from cpuz? i'm not very saavy with intel systems, but don't you have ddr400? it's very common.. adding an after market heat sink and maybe even a fan on the north bridge should help with oc too.. that is if you feel it's hot now..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I know it is mismatched but i have to wait until my dad will take me to the computer shop to get 1gb single stick

D'Oh

hmm... with proper cooling i see great potential... 2x512 or 1xGB ? do you have a dual channel board?
    mm.. could work.. did you find a max o/c with this board you have.. maybe in a review.. the big typhoon heat sink is a very good one, and because of its wingspan if you put heat sinks on the voltage regulators, the big 120mm fan is gonna cool those too.. use as much cooling as possible, just to be safe.. also, google the max voltage and the max safe voltage the cpu can take.. if the oc is not stable, add a bit more juice.. i learned this the hard way
    edit:
    i meant this tab..

(i had to loosen the timigs a lil for the old modules i had and i forgot to change 'em back.. silly me..)
    and this one is useful also:
    Last edited by dgrmkrp; 01-06-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: more info

not to much to show there but i will be getting 1Xgb ram or maybe 2X1gb ram all depends how much it costs at the time i go to get it. i don't know if my mobo supports dual channel i will look in the book when i find it. thanks for such a quick response.

D'Oh

stay tuned.. i'm gonna google the chipset and see what it can do

edit:
    so, your best choice for 1GB is one module, as this chipset doesn't support dual channel ram;
    the northbridge isn't such a hot one, but you should add some cooling on the voltage regulators;
    i hope you have a graphics card other than the integrated one as it's good for 2D use only, not for modern games.. of course, if u use it for that that explains why you can see the speed of the gpu in bios maybe? (i understood you can..)

one MSi board i've seen was an awful overclocker.. so. i don't know... how successful you'll be.. can you modify the fsb in small 1mhz increments? (that board couldn't..) extrapolating from that model, you can go as high as 140 mhz fsb (no 166, no 200).. hope you have a better board..
    edit2:
    someone said:
    If you're an overclocker, the SS56L also has you covered. It's got CPU, RAM and AGP voltage control, RAM timing tweaking, CPU-to-RAM clock ratio setting (1:1, 3:4, 3:5, 1:2), and CPU FSB adjustment up to a hey-it's-possible 232MHz.
    Recent SiS-chipset motherboards with decent overclocking options (many SiS-based boards have overclock-free BIOSes) have generally been performing well, so the SS56L ought to be pretty crankable, too.
    As usual, though, you shouldn't assume you'll be able to crank your old 2GHz P4 to 3GHz, or get any overclock to speak of out of a P4 Celeron, and complain when you can't. If it happens, it's a free gift. If it doesn't, you're still going to have a computer that's fast beyond the wildest dreams of people a couple of years ago. Deal with it.
    but no proof.. and i don't know if you have this mobo or not (used by shuttle in one of their older sff models..)

a nice link to another model: linky

hope this helps a lil
    Last edited by dgrmkrp; 01-06-2007 at 10:25 AM.