Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grrr

Default Grrr

My neighbors are trying to access files on my computer through the wireless network! I need to look up that article i have on wireless security.

I've booted them off the DHCP client table. I'll turn off the wireless network till i've sorted this out, which disconnects my Wii from connect24, but i'm more worried about Network security. Really should have sorted this out already.

It's one thing to leach a connection, but to try to access my files...that's just bare arsed cheek. I'm temped to go round there and have a word with them.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: Grrr

Turn on MAC address filtering and turn off SSID broadcasts. Then, your wireless will only accept connections from MAC addresses you specify, and your neighbors won't even see your wireless network. Not sure how you would find the MAC on your wii, but I would imagine that there has to be a sticker on it somewhere.

edit:
    duh.. you should be able to see the wii MAC address if you look at the DHCP log.

Yea, what he said. =P

Do what sgtm says. He's right. Another option is a wep key. I highly doubt if your neighbors can crack wep.

Nothing wrong giving them a piece of your mind, but they know they are caught because you've shut it off. If it happens again after you secure your wireless connection, then it's a problem.

nil8: also a good suggestion on turning on WEP

For those who may not know, a MAC address is a Media Access Control address. Basically, it's a hexidecimal number made up of the assigned manufacturer code number, and *usually the serial number of the card. It is unique to every manufacturer and their respective products. If you open a command prompt, and then type in ipconfig/all you will see the mac address represented as the physical address. The MAC address on my machine is
    Code:
    00:13:D3:2B:47:0E
    . This number can be converted to decimal, but that gets into counting in hex which I'm REALLY rusty at.

Yes MAC addresses can be spoofed, but I doubt your neighbor knows how to do that. IMHO you should turn on MAC filtering, disable SSID broadcasts, and also change the SSID.

Water Cooled

I'm temped to go round there and have a word with them.
    I say you search their hard drive for pron. THEN go over and threaten to tell their wife/parents what you found on their machine. If they don't have any on their machine, offer to put some nice kitty stuff on before you call the FBI on them.

Another thing you could do would be to seed a virus or rootkit on your machine for them find. give it a nice file name like "Leather chicks of jello-land". Then sit back and laugh as their machine crashes.

irongeek.com The joys of skiddy-baiting Don't get mad get even

I had a similar issue with a neighbor. It was my fault for not securing my wireless router so I took it in stride. But then again they were only using my connection and did not try to access any system. The funny thing is about 3 weeks after I shut off the wireless broadcast (I don't use any wireless devices), I was out on our local road crew cleaning up and my neighbor mentioned that his wireless connection had failed and he had to have sbc/att come out to fix it. They of course found nothing wrong and he is still having problems with wireless, but his direct connect is working... Digit!

I offered to fix it for him for a fee. They just got back from vacation so we'll see if he takes me up on his offer.

It would really be nice if you could send a instant message to anyone on your network (kind of like 'wall' in unix but network wide), or a picture...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

tinfoil-underwear

You guys are too good....

I would capture the packets... crack their eMail addys and password, then send a very nice eMail to themselves.

Or fill-up their hdd with horse-bestiality pr0n or something.
    That would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post

It would really be nice if you could send a instant message to anyone on your network (kind of like 'wall' in unix but network wide), or a picture...
    You can.. Start --> Run then type netsend computername or ip address message. Granted, the messenger service has to be on for this, but it's on by default.

ATX Mental Case

Me + Bat - neighbors = No more trouble

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    You can.. Start --> Run then type netsend computername or ip address message. Granted, the messenger service has to be on for this, but it's on by default.
    Thanks! I like this idea!

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_crip View Post
    Me + Bat - neighbors = No more trouble
    you forgot part of the equation...

No more trouble = (!neighbor trouble) x size of bat x number of marks left x Police officers = time in jail... (probably not correct algebra though...)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...