Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Help!

ATX Mental Case

Default Lighting Help!

Ok, i have this new idea for my new computer i'm building. Of course i suck at electronics and modding so i'm hoping you guys could help.

Is there a way to hook up one or two cold cathode lights up to flash for hard drive activity?

Default Re: Lighting Help!

Cold Cathodes are not good for that-they need to warm up and cool down, so you can't really make them flash like this. LED's are what you need-a couple of superbright LED's will get the job done at the same price, and being smaller, will fit anywhere in your case. Hook them up to a power supply and use a small Transistor in line with the HDD activity header on your motherboard, and you're in the business.

You'll need the a resistor for your LED's, but it's not too complicated a circuit.

Try asking the guys in a local electronics shop, tell them you have a 5volt source and you want to run, say, 4 super brights to replace 2 cold cathodes, and tell them you want to hook them up to only be on when a binary high signal (at 5volts with next to no current) from a source external to the curcuit comes through via a transistor.

Or, print this off, and take it to them. They'll help you out. If they don't, i will.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

D'Oh

..or, use whatever lighting thingy you desire and.. this is where the electronics part start to go blurry.. (complicated, but not that much) either use an opto-transistor and a capacitor for a nice fade effect (the cold cathodes will work 'better' this way, cause you never get sudden transitions, but nice light-in and light-out effects.. with a hard drive that is heavily accessed you get a flickering light, but never complete darkness.. u can try removing the capacitor, for a nice flash effect, although the tubes wont go 100% unless you use special ones.. like the ones with fast response time they use in clubs and in photography).. linky to this is being looked for right now..

or do what dave said (i would go with this aproach too ..and maybe will) and use ultra bright leds.. in case u need some more details (seeing as i actually am studying this now for an exam i have..), i've done a lil drawing here

..i think this is how the circuit should look like.. i'm doing some work on another circuit now, and i don't have a model for a LED built yet.. but i'm 90% sure this will do the job.. not only that, but instead of the motherboard signal, u should be able to use any signal dvd, lan, or other light pulse emitting device
    also, for a 12V source u need a 470ohm resistor in series with the + of the LED, and with a 5V source something around 100ohm.. if i remeber correctly..
    the transistor is acting like a switch.. only when the right amount of voltage activates it, will the switch 'switch' and allow the 5/12V to pass... in theory

the tip31c part i'm using does right that and my aplication does involve a 5V command signal... and a 12V exit so.. it should fit

hope i helped

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

So, i'm better off going with a bunch of LED's as compared to the cold cathodes to get a faster effect?

And would there be a risk of frying the motherboard?

D'Oh

hmm... well... LEDs can blink really fast.. they can blink so fast that some opto-transistors can't sense it anymore (had to do that experiment at a laboratory a few months back..).. and neither do our eyes.. the risk does exist.. now that you mention it.. but it's there in case something goes wrong.. hmm... you can a add a diode in series with the base of the transistor.. buy a 1n4007 diode from an electronics store, as this is a really common part.. it will bring down the command voltage by 0.6 or 0.7 volts, but it should still retain it's logical value of '1' (switch closed, current may pass). by adding this lil part you can insure that in case you manage to somehow push 5V or 12V from the psu in the mobo's header, this part won't allow it to pass, as it will be reverse biased... that is, current may flow only in one direction thru a diode.. and if you connect the diode such that the silver ring at one end is pointed towards the base of the transistor (doesn't have to be the middle pin, check the specification of the part at www.alldatasheet.com, or any other electronics part for that mater.. very helpful ), current can ony flow in the base, not the other way around, god forbid any accidents may happen make sure of this when you solder the circuit
    any help needed, were here

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Double + Rep for dgrmkrp. Good work.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

Well, i suck with electronics.

These are going to be surrounding a window. Should i just buy some LED's, and then go to radioshack to ask about powering them with the 12v without blowing out the motherboard?

Is there a way to wire it so that the motherboard connector isn't directly in line with the power?

D'Oh

Is there a way to wire it so that the motherboard connector isn't directly in line with the power?
    well... it isn't if you watch the schematic closely it's perpendicular and believe it or not, this simplified schematic is used in every processor and chip out there.. at least the principle: when you wanna control something, do it with transistors

..with the diode installed correctly, there is close to 0 probability to damage anything.. just go to a shop and buy the stuff.. consult with the guy there show him the schematic and if u need guidance in actually making the circuit, we'll help i can even do some renderings of a mock board (but not now, i have to learn maths again.. exam coming.. i think i have 3 next week.. so next week, in a learning break) and some steps to take to install stuff just make sure you can solder

ATX Mental Case

thank you very much for all of your help!

Anodized

I have an idea. Instead of cold cathodes, why not try this: http://xoxide.com/sunbeam-meteor-light-blue.html It seems like it's simple enough.

P.S. Something simple, like a relay connected to the HD LED pin on the motherboard and the power switch leads will give you the effect, i think.