Thread: MSI Northbridge Cooling?

Fresh Paint

Default MSI Northbridge Cooling?

Has anybody heard of someone cooling the northbridge on a MSI K9N Platinum motherboard? (Seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...ard+%2D+Retail)

I understand that they run hot and was wondering if there is a water block that would work.

TIA

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: MSI Northbridge Cooling?

You can get waterblocks for almost any FSB, as far as I've seen. And if the mounts don't line up, well, this is a modding forum, after all.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

If you're looking for waterblocks, I'm sure Danger Den makes at least one that should work.

A method I have used for aircooling fsb is to cut down an old socket 7 hs to size and mount it. Then again, I have a couple dozen sitting around. Still, you can find old processor heatsinks at your local computer junk store easily and they work wonders.

You should also make sure your video card doesn't interfere, if it does, then you will have to modify it.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Okay, this is what you do. Find a copper penny, get some super glue, then mix arctic silver thermal grease into the glue. Then take your penny and glue the penny to your Northbridge. Be sure you are not stingy with your glue! Use PLENTY of it, to the point where it is pretty much over flowing and onto your motherboard.

***Please do not try this, I was only joking.***

Here are a few off of newegg.com. Otherwise, check out DangerDen.com or FrozenCPU.com or even Xoxide.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811155998
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108079
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999989

I can't guarantee you that any one of those will work for you. But do some research and find out before you make a purchase. I would go with the swiftech of those three just in case you wanted my opinion. If it is compatible that is.

Where is the southbridge on that board? Maybe I am blind, but it looks like to me that the big heatsink there is cooling both the south and north?? Maybe not, but if it is, you might want to cool the south as well.

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.