Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking apart my Computer tommorw, for the first time

Fresh Paint

Default Taking apart my Computer tommorw, for the first time

Well, this is my post here at TBCS, and I'd like to say hello to you all, and how awe struck I am with everyone's modifications.

To the point of this topic, All the mods I have seen here and elsewhere for the past year or so has finally forced me too try it myself on my own computer. I've decided that I am going to go with putting a few windows in the side of my case, and hopefully the top, and a few more fans in it. (In it's current position, there isn't very much airflow. Now, At the moment I have a few ideas running through my head about what windows I am going to put in and where. Too help me decide where I am going to be putting them however, I want to take my case apart, and take all the components out of it. Hopefully then I'll be able to decide what would be good for windows etc. etc. I also wast to take it apart to try and get a better understanding of how a computer works, so i can eventually build one from scratch.

Now too the problem; the only modifications I have done ever it installing a PCI card. On this case I have taken off the side, and the front bezel, but that is all I've really done. So this leaves me in the dilemma, that I have no idea where to start. I have googled it, but I couldn't find a guide that showed how to take apart a computer. I'm sure that if I just winged it, and slowly went through, taking out certain pieces one by one, I would eventually be able to get everything out, and hopefully be able to get it all back inside. However, I would not like to do something like this with at least a little bit of direction, so thats where I hope to have you guys come in at. What are your suggestions for someone taking apart his computer for the first time? Is there certain surfaces I should set certain components? Are there any good guides about taking apart computers? Etc. etc. Any suggestions that are offered would be greatly appreciated.

Another concern I have is the molex connectors inside the computer. These are the little white rectangular pieces with many wires coming out of them, connected to the PSU. I only have 3 or 4 spare ones, not being used. From what I understand, these are used to power all the items such as the hard drive, fans and the lights. I don't think the 3 or 4 spare ones I have will be enough, if I add enough things to the case, so I was wondering if there was a way too add more, or will I need a bigger PSU? (The one I have now is only 250 or 350 watts, if I remember right).

If anyone is wondering, here is a link too my computer:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...roduct=3199120

Everything is the same, except two PCI slots are used. One for my linksys wireless adapter, and the other for something I don't even know

Thanks for the help in advance

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Re: Taking apart my Computer tommorw, for the first time

Welcome to TBCS! You'll be in touch with many helpful members here. You surely picked the right board to come to.

But, if you know you want to mod it, what exactly do you have in mind? Watercooling, unique paint/lexan window, etc?

Your power supply, those extra molex connectors don't have to all be used. But if you plan on lights and more components, then yes you should upgrade to, maybe a 400 Watt PSU.

When it comes to taking apart computers, the best advice I could give you is taking notes. Also, if you have a camera, take pictures from time to time, in case you don't remember where certain wires go where. If you're unsure about the pictures, then draw a diagram explaining what color/shape wire(s) went where. This diagram doing helped me out when I took my first computer apart.

Once again, welcome to the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the welcome, and fast reply .

At the moment, I am planning on putting in long and thin tribal like designs, at most only 3 cm thick (just over an inch). Since they will be so thin, I don't think I will be using edge molding too hold the windows in. So I am thinking I will attach the window under the frame using double sided tape, or glue of some sort. I then think I will run green EL wire around the outline, inside the case, too light up all the windows. Anyone have any better suggestions, if you understand what I'm talking about? Eventually, I think I will paint the entire frame a dark gray or black, I'm just not sure what to use, other than spray paint. Also, when my computer is turned on, it emits a blue light at the on/off switch, I want to change that too green as well.

I think I will be taking pictures along the way, should help quite a bit. I'm to slow and crappy at drawing pictures by hand, so that route wouldn't be any good.

Thanks for the help, Mitternacht! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

On a side note, does anyone know where to get some cheap green leds that can be shipped to Canada <- a reason why newegg is useless too me

Welcome, fasten your seatbelt, get ready for liftoff and enjoy your stay
    As Mitternacht said, the molex dont have to be all used, but if you want to add components, make sure your actual PSU can support them. I always recommend to calculate your Power wattage. LINK
    We're now ready to start.
    1- Make sure you do what Mitternacht said
    2- Unplug your computer
    3- Make sure you dont have any static electricity on you. All you have to do is put a hand on the case of your computer before you touch any part.
    4- I personally put my components in differents boxes (away from any eclectric...)
    5- Dont force anything, or to come out, or to come in.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

ATX Mental Case

Hello Stone I to am new to modding but not to building and repairing P.C.'s

MintyMadness has a very good starter guide for you! Some other things to keep in mind are.

First: This is an HP so if you want to change the power supply make sure it is standard. Some manufacturers have proprietery parts (Parts that will only fit in their cases ), some do not, so it may be a standard sized power supply.
    Just didn't want you to buy something that's not going to fit your case.

Second: Most manufacturer user manuals don't go into much detail about the motherboard layout and wiring hook ups so mark your front panel wires so that you will know wich way to hook them back up, keeping in mind that the positive & negative wires must be put back on thier respective pins.
    A good example is this a HDD front panel Activity LED if plugged up backward will not light! So make a drawing most wires are marked.

Third:When re-asembling do not over tighten the mother board mounting screws.

Fourth: If you are going to cut your own windows with a dremmel or something it would be best to do it away from your components as the little metal shards and fine metalic dust would not be good to your componets could cause a short circuit.

Have fun once you have done this the next one will be easier.
    AS STATED BY OTHERS STATIC ELECTRICITY IS THE ENEMY! AVOID IT!

Charles

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post

On a side note, does anyone know where to get some cheap green leds that can be shipped to Canada <- a reason why newegg is useless too me
    Do you have RadioShack in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

We have RadioShack "LaSource - CircuitCity" But we also have real electronic component store. Maybe start by Active And where in Canada are you from?

Fresh Paint

Thank you for all the help everyone! It is greatly appreciated, and I think I will be printing out the guide Minty posted, thanks for that.

As already stated, we do have a Radioshack/Circuit City in Canada, but the two I live in, doesn't have one. I live in a small town, with two grocery stores, five gas stations, movie store, and a few other specialty shops. Nothing to really help someone who builds computers and what not. There is however, a larger city about a 20 minute drive away, which has Home Depot, multiple craft stores, and a few Circuit Cities, I am sure. Problem is, I can't drive by myself till Summer, when I get my license, and whenever my dad has a day off, I am always working, so I can't get into that city. So, that is the main reason I'm going to have to be buying almost everything online.

Slytherock, I live in central Alberta, if that will help any :/ I think Xoxide and Tiger Direct will help me get everything I need, I just didn't see any green LEDs on and of those sites.

Try a search in HERE you may find a place near you

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness
    This entire process can be very easy, fast, and convenient for even someone who knows very little about PC hardware. The biggest fear people have with the internals of a computer is: "I might break something," and they invision pieces of the silicon board breaking off. The thing is, all that stuff in there is pretty resilient. It is made to sit in a snug position, with a considerable amount of force keeping it "mounted." Just be careful and all will be well.
    This i can vouch for, over my years of geekyness, i have abused many a computer component. most components can take quite a beating!
    The wiring is genrally the most complicated part, but if you have your motherboad manual to hand, it should be a breeze.
    just remember to have fun with it, thats what its all about, and the more you mess around with it, the more you will learn about it!