Thread: my stupid dvd burner

Default my stupid dvd burner

yes i have about a year old magicspin dvd burner/ reader, cd burner/reader. model number: DVDRW 1016IM. the drive will read dvds(tested out firewall) and cds(installed my battlefield vietnam) that worked out just great. it used to be able to write dvds and cds very good but now when i try to burn a dvd or cd (i just pop in a good blank dvd or cd) it doesnt see that its a blank dvd or cd. Im not sure what caused this error to occur. ive tried using memorex dvd-r, fujifilm dvd-r , and memorex cd-r, but none of it is detected by the dvd burner as a blank cd/dvd, its like it doesnt even see it.

After trying to troubleshoot i popped in a different cd rw/ dvd reader drive. I got a blank memorex cd out and the drive saw it, so i tried burning an audio cd with nero. The thing burned and it ejected itself like usual, but when i went to put the cd back in the computer to listen to my music/test the cd it saw it as a blank cd. I would like to know what is the problem/error with my dvd burner. it used to burn dvds. I even updated the firmware yesterday and tried that, but still no luck. Thanks for the help guys.

If this is in the wrong spot, im sorry. I thought the rookies nook would be a good spot for me. I know this is the wrong forum to put this in but you guys are really great. thanks again, Phil.

Default Re: my stupid dvd burner

I sometimes get this with my drives, it goes into 'burn mode' instead of 'read mode'. The CD's have probably burned fine but windows built in burner keeps trying to burn more (as it doesn't finalize the disks.)

I think this is fixed in SP2?

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: my stupid dvd burner

hmm, I've got a imilar problem with my parents Dell. It won't write DVD's or CD's. I'm not sure how to fix it either. I'm not sure the model number or make of the burner (damn dell). It doesn't bother us too much, we have 3 other DVD burners in the house, but I'm also interested in how to fix this. And SP2 doesn't fix it.

EDIT: I also used to have this problem with my regular PC, it took a full reinstall of XP to fix it.