Thread: Distorted graphics on start up

Default Distorted graphics on start up

HEy, I don't really know where to put this so I am going to put it here. Well I gave my friend my old pc, I actually bought a new motherboard and CPU for it and when I start it up with an nvidia FX5700 ultra the start up graphics ie. memory test and the whole boot up before windows goes all crazy, the screen is like red, green, blue pixels, you can still see what it says, well not very much actually and windows doesn't want to boot and the computer just reboots. Now I put and old 32 MB nvidia card and it works fine. Please I need help with this.

-zitwep

Default Re: Distorted graphics on start up

Sounds like the graphics card was not seated properly in the slot the first time you tried it. You really need to uninstall drivers for graphics cards when putting ina new one, even if its the same chipset and brand.

And what do you mean about "the new motherboard and CPU"? Please explain. You cant just throw new parts at a PC and expect it to boot up normaly, the operating system was configured with the old hardware and will not recognize the new parts, especially major ones like motherboards.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

The card was in properly, I undusted it, it worked once and then I restarted it and it went koo koo again. I bought a new 3000+ and an Asrock K8 mobo, the only left actually from my old pc is 1 GB of RAM and power supply and harddrive on which I completely reinstalled windows and all the necessary drivers for the mobo.

Punctuation is our friend. 1 long run on sentence is hard to read and understand.

I'm going to assume that this is AGP because no one would make a 32mb graphics card PCI-E.

If you can, try the questionable graphics card in another machine and see if it works. If it does, then it might be that your bios has the wrong AGP speed set. If it doesn't, then it's the graphics card itself.

Sorry, I always get into trouble for that in my english class.

Ok so to clear up your question, yes it is an AGP x8 motherboard (Asrock K8Upgrade-NF3). When I first wanted to fire up the PC, I had an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB, the screen wouldn't come on. I try a couple of times and still nothing. So then I decide on fetching my 32 MB nVidia card (don't know how I still have it) and stick it in, it works.

I install windows and all the drivers for the motherboard. After this I assumed that it was my ATI card which wasn't working anymore so the next day (today) I planned on taking my friend's nVidia FX 5700 Ultra 256 MB and sticking it in, nothing on the screen. So put back the good old 32 MB card and check if there is anything I can do in the BIOS. So I go into "Chipset Configuration" and change a couple of things there and stick in the 5700 again.

It seems to work now, windows boots and I proceed by installing the correct drivers. Then I restart the computer and the BIOS and POST and everything is distorted and colored, and from then on I never got it to work again so I had to stick in my 32 MB card again. And that was it.

But now, there are a few things in the BIOS chipset configuration that I have no idea about. Here they are:

AGP DATA RATE
    AGP APERTURE SIZE
    AGP FAST WRITE
    AGP SIDEBAND ADDRESS
    PRIMARY GRAPHICS ADAPTER

I mess about changing those settings but I couldn't do anything that worked, I actually have no idea what those things are about to be honest.

Sorry if this punctuation was bad

-zitwep