Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default The Car Thread.

Okay, I know GT40_Gearhead suggested the idea, and we're talking about cars in that one dude's Roush Mustang thread, so let's all take it here.

To start... uh.... I like the RB20DETT Engine (2.6 Liter, V6, Twin Turbo Engine, found in the R33 and R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R's, the Skyline 4-doors got the RB25DE, the N/A 2.5l V6). It's sexy. Kind of like the SR20DET (2.0l, v6 I think, single Turbo engine found in JDM Silvias and USDM Sentra SE-R's) or VQ20DE (2.0l, v6, N/A Engine that Nissan uses in 8 of their models including the 350z and G35, which is also known as the Skyline 350GT).

Yeah, I'm a Nissan geek.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: The Car Thread.

I'll take a Zonda Pagani, thanks
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Hmmm. let me see, I prefer the lines and looks of the older cars.

My all time favorite car that I have owned was my 69 Chevelle Malibu. Transplanted a 350 in it with a rockcrusher transmission and a MR Gasket inline shifter. That was a real sleeper car... Destroyed in a hail storm, insurance would not cover it.

My second all time favorite car is really a truck, but today it would be considered an SUV (BLECH!). It is a 1975 Toyota landcruiser FJ40. That thing will climb a tree or push it over if it is in the way. Still own this truck and it is going through a minor frame off restoration. Mechanically it is in great condition, it just _looks_ like a '75. No rust whatsoever on the tub or top, minor rust on the doors, but nothing a little sand paper won't take care of. Still trying to decide if I am going to drop a 350 4 bolt into it...

Third favorite was my 1975 Rover 3500S. British car, american engine, would top out at 140mph, but _needed_ 100 octane to run right. I could get that gas in colorado at the airport, but california has laws against that so I had to add 2 cans of octane boost to every fill up. (an extra $5 or more a tank).

Not really in my top 5, but I now drive a '02 mustang gt. I like the car but it sucks cornering and the leather seats make sure you slide all over the place when taking the twisties (as I do every day as part of my commute). I only bought the mustang because I got such a great deal on it.

I am waiting to see how the new camaro's drive to see if I want one but I do like the looks.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Okay, I know GT40_Gearhead suggested the idea, and we're talking about cars in that one dude's Roush Mustang thread, so let's all take it here.

To start... uh.... I like the RB20DETT Engine (2.6 Liter, V6, Twin Turbo Engine, found in the R33 and R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R's, the Skyline 4-doors got the RB25DE, the N/A 2.5l V6). It's sexy. Kind of like the SR20DET (2.0l, v6 I think, single Turbo engine found in JDM Silvias and USDM Sentra SE-R's) or VQ20DE (2.0l, v6, N/A Engine that Nissan uses in 8 of their models including the 350z and G35, which is also known as the Skyline 350GT).

Yeah, I'm a Nissan geek.
    Err don't you mean RB26DETT?? thats the 2.6L found in the GTR's. I prefer the Nissan 180sx with the SR20DET....very nice car/engine, looks mad and is cheap compared to the GTR's lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadB View Post
    Err don't you mean RB26DETT?? thats the 2.6L found in the GTR's. I prefer the Nissan 180sx with the SR20DET....very nice car/engine, looks mad and is cheap compared to the GTR's lol.
    Er yeah, meant to type RB26DETT. I'm just too used to having 2 next to 0 haha.

Well, which 180sx are you thinking of? The USDM 240sx RPS13 (That's the fastback, pop-up headlights, coupe)? That's actually the car I want as my first, with either the KA24 or SR20. The RPS13 styling is really appealing to me, especially with some clean bodywork.

Or even better; an RPS13 with the RB26DETT... Crazy ass amounts of power, transverse drivetrain, oh, and bragging rights. Load those turbos up with 15psi (If I'm not mistaken, the RB26 is quite robust and can handle oodles of boost on stock internals) and let 'er rip. You'll be scaring the **** out of Civic drivers in no time.

Yeah, I'm thinking for my first car I want that RPS13, get it in a Metallic Blue Flake, and if it has the KA20, then turbocharge it, if it has the SR20 then leave it however it is (Either N/A or Turbo'd), and get some lighter, larger rims (Like 5Zigen FN-01RC's or something, I think that's right, in bronze) and some nice Nitto R-Compound tires and have some fun on the local mountain roads... ahh.... togue!

Another car I wouldn't mind would be the mid-80's toyota corolla (GT-S, not SR5 or whatever the ****ty one is), the one that in Japan was known as the Treuno AE86 or just the Hachi Roku (Japanese for "Eight Six"). If I got one of those I might try to hunt down an AE101 engine or maybe the Honda F20C (S2000 Engine).

EDIT:

Oh yeah, but keep in mind that the price margin between the R33/R34 Skyline GT-R and the RPS13 is still justified. One of the cars is a marvel to automotive engineering and technology, with at least a 30-year pedigree and tons of racing titles under it's name, while the other is a grocery cart with potential.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

1989 Chevrolet Corvette

5.7 L-98 350 cu.in. engine
    Aluminum heads
    K&N
    Accel Ignition
    Hedman LT Headers
    2.5" Dynomax exhaust Cats eliminated
    Smog Pump eliminated
    ZR-1 Wheels
    Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's 17*9.5
    Line-Lock

Result:
    13.75 @ 99.98
    13.83 @ 101.15

13.75 Quarter-Mile Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Favorite Car:

1969 Firebird- mint, the way it came from the lot.

Perfect Car:

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 w/cummins, twin turbo, manual, and 6 inch exhasut

I like to keep these things simple

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Favorite Car:

1969 Firebird- mint, the way it came from the lot.

Perfect Car:

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 w/cummins, twin turbo, manual, and 6 inch exhasut

I like to keep these things simple
    By the way, a little tip. 6" exhaust is too big for a Cummins; 5" is about the max you should go.

And twin turbos? No diesel comes with twin turbos. Unless you like to dream big and build one with twin turbos on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    1989 Chevrolet Corvette

5.7 L-98 350 cu.in. engine
    Aluminum heads
    K&N
    Accel Ignition
    Hedman LT Headers
    2.5" Dynomax exhaust Cats eliminated
    Smog Pump eliminated
    ZR-1 Wheels
    Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's 17*9.5
    Line-Lock

Result:
    13.75 @ 99.98
    13.83 @ 101.15

13.75 Quarter-Mile Pass

Oh man, 13.75 @ 99.98, eh? Not bad, for what would appear to be some simple work. Any traction problems?

Reminds me -- There's a drag supra in Arizona that lays down a whopping 973whp and 89*lb/ft onto the table, and pulls a quarter mile within the 8's. =D

Aero: I saw a Dodge truck that had a sticker "I'd rather be cummin' than strokin'" =D

I love how Civics are so weak that they couldn't torque down their lug nuts if they tried, lol.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    And twin turbos? No diesel comes with twin turbos. Unless you like to dream big and build one with twin turbos on it.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure it's been done. There's been some crazy **** in the automotive world -- like Twin Charging (That's a Turbocharger/Supercharger combination, usually a hair dryer paired with an Eaton Roots type Supercharger), Rotary engines (Which were originally in aircraft!) and so forth, in fact, we're seeing the dawn of shopping carts with 6-speeds and affordable sportscars with 7-speeds pretty soon -- I know some higher end cars like Ferarri already have 7-speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Oh man, 13.75 @ 99.98, eh? Not bad, for what would appear to be some simple work. Any traction problems?

Reminds me -- There's a drag supra in Arizona that lays down a whopping 973whp and 89*lb/ft onto the table, and pulls a quarter mile within the 8's. =D

Aero: I saw a Dodge truck that had a sticker "I'd rather be cummin' than strokin'" =D

I love how Civics are so weak that they couldn't torque down their lug nuts if they tried, lol.
    But watch out. Some Civics push enough boost to air up their own tires.

Actually, my 60' times are under 2 seconds. It launches perfectly on street tires.
    2200 stall torque converter, I forgot to add.