Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: casemod: AlumaxX

Default casemod: AlumaxX

I posted some pictures in the show your computer thread, but some people think it is better to give it its own thread. I didn't start one because it is a finished project.
    I will start with some photographs of the finished mod.

In april I was a contestant in the Dutch Casemodding Championship. Because of the weight ( about 40 kilograms ) I had to tranport it like this

There is a worklog on Bit-tech, but if you guys want to know more about this case I can post a log and give some answers to any questions you may have.
    I already started a new project, not a casemod, but a caseconstruction. I will start a worklog here on TBCS soon.

Default Re: casemod: AlumaxX

log... LOG! please post a log lolz
    how long did it take you and how much did it set you back? $$ wise?

Welcome to TBCS Franklin,
    By all means post everything you are willing to here, I know many of us would love to see how you built that bad boy. It's incredible!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I will post the log in parts.

Started on the casemod in december 2004. Yes a long time ago, but it took me more than a year to finish it. Several reasons for it, it is my first mod, don't have much time and only use simple tools.

The case I started with is the Lian Li pC-V2000

First thing I did was removing the original harddisk rack

I had to make some room for the radiator grill at the top of the case. Some tape and a good planning were needed before cutting the case with a Dremel clone.

The firts cuts in my expensive case.

One of the reservoirs will be mounted in the top of the case, just behind the radiator grill.

After removing the harddisk tray I had to come up with a new custom made Harddisk tray. Because I want to know whether my handmade parts will fit and how it will look I make some paper models before using metal or acrylic.

Both harddisks will be watercooled with Aquacomputer coolingblocks.

Started working on the aluminium, just using a saw.

and removing the corners by drilling holes

After some filing it already looks better.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 05-16-2012 at 02:58 AM.

That was your first mod??????? whoa, very impressive!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Dude...totally!

i love it!

it looks like the love child of orc³ and a lian li

and thats definately a good thing. im looking forward to the rest of your worklog

After making two aluminium pieces it needed some acrylic, just for the looks. Again some paper models of the parts.

Needed some curves on the corners and used a file for that.

one side of the HDD rack is finished.

I wanted to use three radiators, two BIX radiators and one BIX II radiator. The small radiator in the front wasn't a problem. The second BIX radiator didn't fit at once. The case needed some modding. I wanted to use the original mounting holes for the fan taht was attached to the radiator, something like this.

I had to make some room underneath the radiator to lower it a bit.

After cleaning the case up and removing the tape.

Now it fits.

In a German webshop I found a watercooled Enermax PSU.

It looks fantastic on the inside so I had to come up with an idea to keep the waterblocks visible in the endresult.

The green acrylic will cover the hole.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 05-16-2012 at 03:02 AM.

The front

I removed all the bezels because I wanted to create a frontpanel that covered everything that was mounted in the drivebays. I'm using two DVD burners, a reservoir and an Aquacomputer Aquaero. First things first. I needed some acrylic that fitted in the opening.

Made some holes in it for the Aquaero, reservoir and the two DVD burners.

Because I don't want to see through to front I also had to create the same panel in aluminium.

drilling holes in the aluminium sheet.

Drilling holes alone isn't enough to remove the material.

and the last pieces with a saw.

The two layers for the front.

I used two bezels to attach the acrylic and aluminium together.

The three buttons from the Aquaero were not long enough to come through the new front so I needed the help from a friend, he made som buttons to extend the original ones.

For the DVD and the DVD buttons I used the same sandwich from acrylic and aluminium.

The DVD stealth was mounted with some bolts.

The aluminium had to be cleaned. After cleaning it it needed some wetsanding up to grid 2000 and at the end some polishing.

I only will have to attach the ejectbuttons to the frontplate with some thin rubber sheets.

this it what the ejectbuttons look like. The layers are glued together.

and with the acrylic back in place.

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

I love that watercooling setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Watercooling

I use two seperate waterloops. The first one cools two PSU's and two harddisks. The second one will cool the CPU, mosfets, Northbridge and GPU's. So this means I'll also put in two pumps in there, two Eheim 1048 pumps. These pumps will be covered with Aquacomputer metal housings. Normally these things are black, but I had them chromed to match the theme.

The first pump will be placed in the upper compartment off the case on some aluminium profiles. Between the profiles and the pumphusing there is some UV acrylic.

The bolts that I want to use don't fit, so I will make them fit in there.

I use Aquacomputer coolingblocks, that's small bore stuff, but it is German perfection and it is perfekt with the theme.

I love to see hoses from the watercooling, but I hate cables, so I experimented with some paper covers before building it from aluminium.

It needs some openings for the hardware.

It was not possible to use one piece of aluminium, I wouldn't be able to get it in. So I used several sheets of metal. Some of these sheets are for the covers that will come in the lower part off the case.

The first metal cover is ready and in place.

The white paper on it was another idea. It is the place for a Crystalfontz lcd.

The screen needs an aluminium cover and some green acrylic.

The other covers need to be mounted.

I already drilled and tapped the holes in the aluminium plate. But now I will have to get the places that have to be drilled marked in the Lian Li. So I used a bit of paper.

Put the paper in the case and mark the drilling spots.

After drilling the holes I mounted the plate from underneath with some bolts. Notice that the bolts are behind the aluminium plate.

Next thing to do is the left plates. I attached the plate with the LCD cover to the smaller one with 4 bolts.

and an overview. I think it will look very good after it all has been polished.

To empty the watercoolingsystem I wanted to use a draining system with valves at the bottom of the case.

Time to testfit and mount the valves. I use a handdrill in small spaces. With a drop of oil this works perfectly.

Let's see if it all fits.

and from behind

Later on the PSU will be placed back again, so I also have to make sure the hoses will be able to go underneath the rack the PSU rests on.