Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Default Speakers

I'm looking for some decent speakers for my new rig. Something not very expensive yet provides good sound quality and pleasant on the eye. Doesn't have to be an exact model, could be just a brand.

In AU money, nothing above 200$. Meaning 150$ is a good price. This is going to be hooked up to the Asus Striker Extreme board so i need atleast 5.1 channels. 7.1 would be good

I was thinking Logitech but am not sure if they make good speakers. Zalman maybe?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Speakers

Logitech is an excellent brand for speakers. I can tell you from first hand experience that both of these products are awesome.

Logitech X-530 ($$)

Logitech Z-5500 ($$$)

For me, one of the main things I look at is SNR (signal to noise ratio). I never pick out anything less than 80. The Logitech X-530 is 96 I believe. The Logitech Z-5500 is just slightly above 90, which is really good as the best I have seen for computer speakers is like 120 or something like that. I don't know what others will say about my method for choosing speakers, but it has worked for me.

I would pick either the X-530 or maybe these THX ones that are a bit less than the Z-5500. But man, that Z-5500 is flipping insane. Be prepared for, imo, the ultimate sound experience if you can scratch up enough money for them. Which you could get if you picked out a different mobo. The Stiker Extreme needs some work, so I don't suggest it for it's current price at all. It's an enthusiast board that fails to be just that.

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Although the Z5500 would be EXCELLENT and would go great with the Sirius case, they're too expensive... 475$ AU. Whereas the X530 are only 95$ AU.

If i could get a dealer to lower it to about 300$ then i would go for them, but for now i'll go with the X530. My dad had a look around today and came back home, told me to find some good speakers for my new comp so i asked here. Now i find out he knew about the X530 and was gonna suggest them to me.

Thxs anyway Snow =]

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

X530 = Crap.

Sub is muddy as and the speakers are just plain cheap.

You are better buying a nice 2.1 setup. With two speakers and a sub. With the option to upgrade.

My to cents.

You are at an interesting price point. You got more the stero speakers but no quite enough for a decent 5.1 system.

IF you really want 5.1 maybe check out a Aussie company AVLABS they have a pretty good 5.1 system for rrp of $210. It scored an 8 out 10 in Atomic magazines speaker roundup. I would suggest this over the X530

http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/87d...temDetail.aspx

Australia
    AVLabs - Sales
    Phone: 1300 300 364
    Fax: 1300 304 364
    support@avlabs.net
    www.avlabs.net

AV Labs dont have this product listed on their site but its is available. It may be worth ringing them up and having a hunt around.
    Need a sig

is this from a first hand experience or you heard from a friend of a friend's cousin's sister's roommate?

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Friend + A few good reviews.
    Need a sig

tinfoil-underwear

I've got the Z-5500... and.... it's definitely worth the money.

I've got it hooked-up with an optical cable to my xBox (as my motherboard is on its way to NewEgg right now).

But that system is AMAZING.
    The subwoofer, properly setup, rattles all the windows in my house.
    Ahhh... nothing like seeing AND feeling a rocket blowing up near you.

BTW: I want to mod these speakers... I want to install 3 120mm fans on the rear heatsinks... so it runs cool all the time. Oh gosh... I'm moddin' my speakers... I'm a lost case...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Try reading the reviews for products that you are interested in on Newegg.com too.

Logitech X-530

Logitech Z-5500

?Altec Lansing Model 5.1?

Those are the ones that have been mentioned in this thread thus far. I couldn't find anything from Simon275, but he is a good guy and pretty trustworthy with his knowledge, so his two cents is worth taking a closer look at for sure. *cough* although I disagree with the X-530 crap remark *cough*

Is that the system you have MintyMadness? It's the only one on newegg that was a 5.1 setup I think. The newegg search thing could of told me wrong.

Here are some more top products with top reviews. If the link works the way I want it to that is. If not, then just go to newegg and check out the speakers and then sort them by popularity.

Popular Speakers on Newegg

-SnowFire

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

You shouldn't really worry about 5.1/7.1 unless you're a big cinematics person or an audiophile. I have found that Creative makes a very nice set of 2.1's, not sure of the price, but they have nice audio quality. The subwoofer is only something like 5", but it is a wooden cone (yes, wooden cone speakers exist, and it has GREAT bass) and the normal drivers are pretty small, but effective as well.

Now, while this may not be as good as some Logitech sets, Creative is still quality.

If you can't find the 2.1's I'm talking about, than pretty much anything else work.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Fear

Go with creative. I am begging you to buy creative. Not only does creative labs make the best sound cards, but there systems have the BEST BASS! They got a 7.1 on newegg for $80