Thread: iPod Nano / iTunes 7.0.2

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default iPod Nano / iTunes 7.0.2

Alright. Normally, I would be nano bashing and also bashing the new version of iTunes, but I just got a nano (early christmas present from my dad, 8gb, black) and it's pretty slick. It's small, very light, and has no moving parts! Huzzah!

The iPod has a nice aluminium shell (this is new, and pretty nifty), closely resembling that of the iPod mini. The black version is all color matched -- wheel and all. It has a color screen and can show photos (but no videos, sorry), and I'll see about Album Artwork soon. Oh, and it holds a charge like no tomorrow -- constant use for a few hours didn't even phase the thing. Once agian, solid state memory, HUZZAH! Actaul formatted capacity is 7.4gb, and not 8. But that's to be expected.

iTunes 7.0.2 is pretty slick, too. It'll find all your album artwork (that it can, of course). Which is quite a bit. I was suprised to see that it could find Futuristic Sex Robotz' "Hotel Coral Essex" album cover. It has a new feature, too -- you can scroll through album covers. Pretty nifty.

So yeah, I'd say, if you're on the edge, go ahead and buy it. I'll do a better review later. Maybe.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: iPod Nano / iTunes 7.0.2

Update: The iPod does show album artwork <3

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

My Dad got one for my Mum for their wedding anniversary. I had a play with it. It is pretty slick. So whats the deal Nano's use flash memory?
    Need a sig

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    My Dad got one for my Mum for their wedding anniversary. I had a play with it. It is pretty slick. So whats the deal Nano's use flash memory?
    Yeah, they use flash-based or Solid State memory. Alot more durable and "sporty" than normal iPods.

The only downside is the high-end (8gb) nano costs as much as the low-end (30gb) video. and Honestly, I'd rather have the video (i mean, it plays videos!)

But the smallness of the nano is pretty freakin' great, too.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

PM progbuddy, he can send you in the direction for Linux for iPods, I know this because I've seen his Nano, and it's pretty sweet, you can watch videos, play Doom (I think you can...), etc. He hasn't used it since he got his Zune though... those things look sweet, I'd like one... but, maybe as a graduation gift, you can only buy so much whilst on minimum wage. Okay, I may earn 25 cents more per hour, but it's still minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by ajutz21 View Post

PM progbuddy, he can send you in the direction for Linux for iPods, I know this because I've seen his Nano, and it's pretty sweet, you can watch videos, play Doom (I think you can...), etc. He hasn't used it since he got his Zune though... those things look sweet, I'd like one... but, maybe as a graduation gift, you can only buy so much whilst on minimum wage. Okay, I may earn 25 cents more per hour, but it's still minimum.
    I've put Linux on iPods before, both my 3rd Gen and 4th Gen ran it.

=]

Could someone link a tutorial on how to do that. I got a Nano and would love to watch videos and "Show off" to friends how I can watch videos with my nano without having an iPod Video
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

If you've never done it before, it can be quite a challenge. I've found the iPodLinux installer doens't like 2nd Generation iPod Nano's on USB.

iPodLinux also voids your warranty, and while you get nifty stuff with it, is too big of a risk for new iPods. If you had a 3rd gen or something, then yeah.

anywho, ipodlinux.org is their website. read up, enjoy, and decide afterwords.