Thread: Close call

Default Close call

I got a call from my mom this morning. She talked to my aunt. Her tone was very solemn. See, I have a cousin and a very close friend serving in Iraq right now. My cousin's unit was out on patrol (he's an MP). They were at a stop looking for explosive devices. They were taking turns on who got out of the truck to stand guard, and who stayed in. The truck was hit (not sure by what) and blew up. Luckily, my cousin wasn't in it. 3 of his close friends were not so lucky and perished.

I'm asking that we all take a moment this holiday season to remember those in harms way.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of three Marines who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Budd M. Cote, 21, of Marana, Ariz.

Cpl. Matthew V. Dillon, 25, of Aiken, S.C.

Lance Cpl. Clinton J. Miller, 23, of Greenfield, Iowa

All three Marines died Dec. 11 while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq. They were assigned to Marine Wing Support Squadron 373, Marine Wing Support Group 37, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif.

Default Re: Close call

I'm asking that we all take a moment this holiday season to remember those in harms way.
    I just wish i knew why our guys are in harms way. This works at both sides-why is our military there, and why can't the people of Iraq see that all we want is to help them?

The war in Iraq has pulled me in in more ways than it should. I want nothing to do with it, and it keep trying to force its way into my life. I'm glad your cousin is ok man. Trust me when i say that not a day goes by when I don't wonder what the f*ck's going on in the world.

-Dae
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Honestly, I'm not 100% for or against the war. I am 100% for the men and women serving. I agree that something had to be done after 9/11, I'm just not sure we're barking up the right tree. I feel the same way about the Iraqui's. We're there to help. There is no reason that I see that they cant lead a normal civilized life. Then again, there are radicals no matter what the subject matter is. I just figure that by now someone would have sense enough to figure out that they way things are being done isn't working, and maybe it's time for a different approach.

Your cousin is lucky and unlucky at the same time. He received no physical injury, but I can promise that when he comes back home he will not be the same person.

Watching friends die around you violently can real **** with someone's head for a long time.

The only fact about this war that I find promising is that this is the lowest mortality rate for a war ever seen by the US due to the difficult and amazing efforts of all the military health care professionals serving over there. More soldiers come home, injured, yes, but they still come home.

I won't mention politics in this. All I want to say is I'm sorry for anyone that has to go through war. My heart truly goes out for all the people involved.

I think this thread would catch like wildfire if it was..
    Everyone's asking the same questions, and everyone's got different answers. The problem is, no-one knows who's right. Best leave this discussion for another day. If you're feeling a little down about all this, have a look at the Community PC forum, and see if there's something you can do to help make some kid's wish come true-let's try and make the world a better place, even just for one kid.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!