Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My engineering idea... plausible?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: My engineering idea... plausible?

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis View Post
    Hehe... for now thats a secret.

Only the angels know... (hint hint, google...)
    lol

It's a pretty sweet idea if it works. Heck, it is making me want to try and design something similar to this! If you figure it out, I'll have to come to you for tips man. *cough*

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Life is like an analogy...

overall... i think the spring powered idea is the most feasible. seems to me thats how proper gun magazines work anyways.

if you wanted to get pointlessly complex, you could try a gas blowback piston loading mechanism that loads a new ball using some compressed air bled off from the firing.

actually you reminded me of a grade 10 "project" that me and a friend were fiddling with. he was sick and tired of some noisy kids, so he wanted to make a long range paintball cannon to shut them up. we had quite a complex apparatus designed and semi-built. it worked off a double-screw air pump that was driven by a big electric motor, and provided constant high pressure to feed a six barrel gun that fired A LOT of paintballs. that thing could probably have downed 10 people before they knew what hit them... if it had actually stayed together. it kind of blew up.

Only the angels know...
    so... you want to play tennis with the angels now? i dont mean to sound like a pessimist, but jumping off a bridge may be a lot easier and cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Reading this thread will compel me to make a compressed air potato gun (as opposed to an actual explosion-powered one).

I think I know what I'm doing with Christmas money.
    Yeah, I've been disscussing making a potato cannon with my friend (he already made one, and I think I'm going to too).
    RIP Bucko

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

I might as blow my plan - I am indeed talking about paintball.

By Angel I meant the paintball bun, made by WDP. I own one of their fine markers, and the board in the trigger is capped at 140 balls per second, and the gun is said to be limitless (obviously not true, but it could withstand a lot).

I am, however, limited by the hopper. The hopper is the part that feeds the balls into the gun. Right now, my hopper can only feed about 15 balls a second, but I can shoot around 30 with my fingers.

So, I want to devise a hopper that can feed 40 or more, currently they have force feed hoppers that can feed 35.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Overclocked

How about, a really long sort of tubey thing, folded around itself a few times, with a masssssiiivve piston inside that will force them down?

Well, it has to be electric, or somehow controlled through the use of eyes or sound activation. I would put eyes in the bottom of the hopper, so when there is a ball in it, it forcing them down. Just when they are being shot. A spring loaded kinda thing sounds kinda rough, and I don't want anything reciprocating, because that would break the paint fairly easily.

...plus, it has to fit in the hopper of a paintball gun and still hold at least 120 balls. I'm thinking just beefing up a force feed hopper with a nicer motor, board, etc.
    Typo:

Overclocked

You could have an air compressor that puts the paintballs under pressure, and once the ball has left the area in the barrel where it loads, a valve opens, fires another ball, closes, repeats.

That was my original idea.

However, it would be a bit hard to haul around a generator and a compressor on a speedball field...
    Typo:

Water Cooled

the board in the trigger is capped at 140 balls per second... Right now, my hopper can only feed about 15 balls a second
    I don't know a lot about paintball but 15 rounds/second= 900 rounds per minute. Thats the same rate as a MAC 10 & Thompson machine gun. From what I've read, high end markers can run at 20-30+ rounds/sec. I think 140/sec is an impractical goal.

From Wikipedia:
    The industry standard maximum velocity for safe play is 300 feet per second.
    300 feet per sec/140 rounds per sec= paint balls leaving the gun spaced every 2 feet apart.

At that point why don't you just carry a pressure washer and a backpack full of house paint and call it a "flame thrower"

140 rounds/second sounds awfully fast to me, Thats 8,400 rounds/minute! You can't even get 2,000 rounds/minute out of a real gun unless you use caseless ammo. Like this HK G-11 prototype. Then again I guess paint ball IS caseless so what do I know.

Putting the paint balls under pressure (either atmospheric or physical) is going to have its limitations long before you reach your target rate of fire. Presure and tension like that will probably deform the balls and cause jams/misfires.

Would a belt fed mechanism work?

140 balls a second is what my electronic trigger is capped at. I would never want to shoot that fast, that's an entire hopper of paint in about a second. I'm just trying to think of new ideas for a hopper, because it seems the paintball industry only has two designs used : agitating hoppers, and force feed hoppers.

You're right in saying that high end markers push 20-30 bps, 35 balls a second is as fast as the fastest hopper out there than rip paint at (the halo b w/ rip drive).

A belt mechanism would work but remember that we have to keep the parts small. Here is a picture of a halo b:

Here is one on a paintball gun:

Typo: