Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer "Upgrading"

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Computer "Upgrading"

So, in other words, the 6800 would be better? Also take note that the highest res on the crappy monitor I have is 1024x768, which is good enough for me anyway, if I want the settings real hard core I'd just buy an Xbox 360, even though I don't really like the controller that much, it doesn't really matter... I could also probably overclock the gpu on the 6800 and hook up that heatsink you posted the link on, or would my current CPU heatsink work? It's probably too big from what I can see.

So, go with the 6800? I've already found that one and it looked good to progbuddy (whom I will from now on refer to as Kevin) and I.

Another question: could I hook up the water pump to my current heatsink and it not cause any problems, such as condensing, here's the heatsink I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185123

And another thing, can I have dual channel with two different brands of RAM? I have the Kingston ValuRAM, but I think I might also be getting some hardcore mushkin RAM too...

Another question, does leaving a computer on and not shutting it down for a long time affect it in any bad way? I'm just curious.

Last edited by xRyokenx; 12-16-2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Ask/say more without adding another post, and grammar editing, etc.

That's classified.

Another question: could I hook up the water pump to my current heatsink and it not cause any problems, such as condensing, here's the heatsink I have:
    What do you mean by "hook up the water pump"? An air heatsink cannot be turned into a water block as far as I know.

Another question, does leaving a computer on and not shutting it down for a long time affect it in any bad way? I'm just curious.
    Leaving the computer on does not hurt it. Think about servers; they are left on for months and it doesn't hurt them. Your wallet may hurt from having a higher electric bill though...

Haven't a clue about the RAM but I would think no.

And another thing, can I have dual channel with two different brands of RAM? I have the Kingston ValuRAM, but I think I might also be getting some hardcore mushkin RAM too...
    I don't think you would benefit much from this. As I understand it, when you combine two types of RAM you run a higher risk of stability issues and the fast RAM will be limited to the speed of your slow RAM. So it would actually run faster to remove the slow RAM and replace it with faster RAM than to combine them. I think...
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

By "hook up" the water pump to the air heatsink, I mean mine has copper tubing in it so that I could if I wanted to, the only problem is that it doesn't have the plastic on the outside of where it contacts the CPU. If my grandpa didn't order the RAM already, then I'll just get the same thing that I have.

Here's the heatsink I have, it's kinda hard to see the copper tubing in the pics, but it's there:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185123

Here's the water pump, let me know if it's good:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103006

The Mushkin RAM is actually a couple bucks cheaper, than the Kingston ValuRam, so it might be about the same, but I'll try to get similar DIMMs of RAM.

Edit: I just looked, the Kingston and Mushkin RAM that I've been looking at are pretty much the same, just different brands, so saying "hardcore" was kind of inaccurate.

Another Edit: Would the onboard video card add at all to a video card in the AGP slot, or would it not do anything?

Here's another card that's basically the same as the other, but with double the RAM and memory interface. It's $25 more after rebate, so getting this is a no duh choice, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814141026

you got that right. the GT is lower then the XT in specs. It's like comparing a 7900GT to a 7900GTX. Same card with slightly higher performance =]

I had decided to see if they had anything better, and lo and behold, they did, and for what, $25 to $45 more? The $20 rebate can go towards a better heatsink for the vid card, as the one on it (according to the abundant reviews) is crap.

Leaving the computer on does not hurt it. Think about servers; they are left on for months and it doesn't hurt them. Your wallet may hurt from having a higher electric bill though...
    Not entirely true...

Problem 1) Physical Problems. Moving parts wear out, dust gets into the components, the system can physically last less time if it's on constantly.

Problem 2) Bad programming. All programs that run on servers are carefully designed, especially in terms of multi-threading, to ensure that you don't get something called a memory leak, where a piece of data is stuck in memory without any way to access it. In servers, you have programs called Garbage Collectors. These are sometimes built into languages, eg. Java has a powerful one built in, but not all languages-eg. C and Ada-have them. Servers have them built into the OS. The ones you get in Windows systems are considerably less advanced and more prone to failure, with the likelihood of failure increasing the longer the computer is left with programs running.

The main reason that servers are left running is because your average server has a massive startup time, of anything between an hour to a couple of days. The ones in the DCS at Glasgow take an average of 6 hours to start once they break, and as they keeping knocking the power out, we've become all too familiar with the cycle.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Yeah, I was just curious about that... so what would be a reasonable run time for a PC? Mine usual runs maybe 10-14 hours on weekends and about 3-5 on schooldays. A friend of mine used to leave his on forever, and no wonder it ran like crap.

The one other thing my PC does besides entertain me and allow me to communicate more (I hate phones), is heat my room. I closed the air vent because if it's not opened or closed all the way it makes a lot of noise, making it impossible for me to sleep, and I like it cooler anyway, and no, I don't leave it on overnight, it makes enough noise while humming away as it is...

Yeah, I was just curious about that... so what would be a reasonable run time for a PC? Mine usual runs maybe 10-14 hours on weekends and about 3-5 on schooldays. A friend of mine used to leave his on forever, and no wonder it ran like crap.

The one other thing my PC does besides entertain me and allow me to communicate more (I hate phones), is heat my room. I closed the air vent because if it's not opened or closed all the way it makes a lot of noise, making it impossible for me to sleep, and I like it cooler anyway, and no, I don't leave it on overnight, it makes enough noise while humming away as it is...
    Well, it's hard to judge. It depends on the sort of software you're running. The reason some programs, like Apache, are so popular is because they're good at running a long time. I'll try and give my boxes at the very least 1 hour downtime every 2 days, although i rarely if ever need to actually enforce my rule.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!