Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer "Upgrading"

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Computer "Upgrading"

Hey Guys,

I recently built a new computer, with help from progbuddy, and I was wondering if this watercooler and video card are any good, as I'm planning on overclocking so that I can play Oblivion on my pc, along with a few other games, as 1.4ghz is, in my opinion, too slow, but at least it's better than my old crap 700mhz AMD with some random 32mb video card and 128mb RAM. I have the schematics of the PC in my signature.

Here are the links:

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814141038

Water Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103006

Fear

Default Re: Computer "Upgrading"

Lol haha finally progbuddy did something. Look let me be strait up with you. Please do not buy a 6800. These are outdated. Save you're self a future of crying you're self to sleep when you find out that you can't handle oblivio non max settings. Buy a Saphire X1600. I recentley bought hat for my AGP system off Mikeroq for $80. You can buy one for a LITTLE over $100. Its ATLEAST 2x better then that card.

With Direct x10 literally just around the corner, i'd wait till Febuary if you can, or even late January, for when the prices plummet like rocks from a plane.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

tinfoil-underwear

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    ....for when the prices plummet like rocks from a plane.
    There are SNAKES IN THE MOFO PLANE!!!!!

(( sorry, I just had to be a total n00b and post that. )

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

pfft, you're such a n00b AJ....

haha, but honestly, do you think you can get a 1.4Ghz procesor to hit 2Ghz? If so, I've never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Well, considering that it's technically supposed to be 1.8ghz, it should... according to progbuddy it should hit around 2.4ghz or so, but knowing him... it might not.

About the Sapphire X1600 (it has to be PCI, not PCIe), could you send me a link? I flat out detest searching on the web... not enough patience, which I use in school dealing with stupid freshmen for half the day...

If I can't overclock it fast enough (considering I don't melt it), I'll just sell it to progbuddy, who lives about 10 minutes away. If anyone has any good deals or knows of any for an AMD socket A cpu, let me know... and nobody's yet told me if that water cooler is any good.

ATX Mental Case

I have a 2800+ and I'm running it at 2.3Ghz with an after market heat sink. With water cooling you could hit 2.4. However, at that point you're already beyond the 3200+ which is the fastest one they made so I doubt you could get much further. But heck, I've never tried, go for it.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fear View Post
    Lol haha finally progbuddy did something. Look let me be strait up with you. Please do not buy a 6800. These are outdated. Save you're self a future of crying you're self to sleep when you find out that you can't handle oblivio non max settings. Buy a Saphire X1600. I recentley bought hat for my AGP system off Mikeroq for $80. You can buy one for a LITTLE over $100. Its ATLEAST 2x better then that card.
    no way

The 6800 is supperior to the x1600 just.

If you read this the x1600 manages more 3dmarks but the 6800 gets higher in game frame rates.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/230/10

The 2x is an exaggeration if you go on 3dmarks for power it is only 12.5% more powerful. But some games the 6800 can pull ahead by 5%.

It really is a mixed bag while the 6800 is supperior go with the x1600.

I pulled this up as I wanted ajutz21 to upgrade knowing all the info and not just conjecture and personal opinion.
    Need a sig

Thanks Simon, so the X1600 is better than the 6800? The main question is still which will play Oblivion better... and I'll have to look for a reasonable card (unless the one I found really is good, progbuddy liked it) that's compatible with AGP or PCI, and within my price range, which apparently has been magically expanded to around $150. Also, is there any way to hook up two cards to one monitor? That way each could draw half the screen... or is that not really economic?

Take note that I'm still quite inexperienced and just need a straight out "this card is better," or maybe even pros and cons of each card listed out, I tend to get confused easily... which is the reason I don't like politics.

Still, nobody has yet said whether or not the water pump I have the link for is any good...

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Like I said its a mixed bag. But for more FPS in Obilivon. The 6800gt will sqeeze out more fps in Obilivon. I tested Obilivon on my 6800gt at 2560x1024 and got 9 fps. So the game runs fine at 1280x1024. While the gpu on the X1600 is more advanced the the 6800 has more vertex and shader pipelines. So 6800gt wins in Obilivon.

With water cooling system I poked around online a bit. A good air cooled system will do the same or better than that system. You can put an aftermarket fan and heatsink on the graphics card. Like one of these it will do a better job than that watercooling unit. And plus this is $20.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186132

With water cooling you have to go all the way and spend like $300 to see cooling that beats aircooling.
    Need a sig