Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: durecell is dead...long live ....japanese thingy

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: durecell is dead...long live ....japanese thingy

Durcell bunny is gonna knock off that bloke.

Great idea especially the whole trapped on a mountain thing. I wonder when activated how long they last for compared to normal batteries.
    Need a sig

Water Cooled

The key phrase in that report was "low power devices"

I think this tech has been a round a while. It just hasn't been usefull until recently because it couldn't produce a lot of voltage. It can run a trickle for a long time. LED flashlights and digital cell phones sip electricity compared to the old incandecent bulbs and analog cell phones. these kind of batteries are not going to drive a motor for a CD-ROM/DVD or HDD but they can run a phone, pda, GPS, flashlight.

I have an LCD clock that you can run off a potato but I don't forsee Idaho's finest spuds kick starting all the ponies under my cars hood every morning.

this is interesting. Apparently an American company has been producing water powered batteries for the U.S. government for several years now.

http://www.americaninventorspot.com/...ed_batteries_0

But are water-powered batteries really new? While researching this article, I ran across a company called Magnevolt Inc., based in Clayton, NC, that has apparently sold water-powered batteries to the government for years. Their web site says the generation of the company came about specifically to supply these products to the United States armed services. A check on a web site called www.governmentcontractswon.com confirms that Mangnevolt secured at least three Department of Defense contracts in the last four years. However, it’s unclear whether or not the technology is the same as TSC’s.

I hate to burst everyones bubble but, this is one of thoes products that will never make it to a store shelf. I'll tell you why...

The problem with a product that lasts forever is simply that, it lasts forever. Meaning, once enough are produced to meet the demand, no more are needed. Thus, the entire industry kills its self. Think of all the people and companies that would go under because of such a product. This would make a huge impact on the global economy, and put hundreds of thousands of people out of jobs. Another aspect to look at is the compitition. Do you think duracell and energizer are going to sit idlely by as thier market is taken out from under them? They will spend every dime they have to buy the patents and take control over the technology so they can burry it away in a vault.

Asuming this is probable, lets assess the information. If you were battery inc. and had bought the patent to a product that would eleminate your existance, what would you do? You would probly burn it, I know i would, even if it was for the greater good of humanity.

After all, whats the point in making somthing that'll put you and your family on the street...
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Water Cooled

Quote Originally Posted by Cana-Balsitic View Post
    I hate to burst everyones bubble but, this is one of thoes products that will never make it to a store shelf. I'll tell you why...

The problem with a product that lasts forever is simply that, it lasts forever. Meaning, once enough are produced to meet the demand, no more are needed. Thus, the entire industry kills its self.
    the battery's shelf life is indefinite not the power it produces. the reagents inside the battery are still going to be consumed, that's basic chemistry. Even normal batteries will last for 2-3 years without losing much charge. That "freshness" label is just a marketing gimic to get you to buy new batteries. batteries are not like food, they don't turn into biology experiments if you don't use them soon enough. Speaking of food there is a myth that keeping batteries in the fridge or freezer will make them last longer, it doesn't. Consumer reports tested this and found no significant difference between room temp and cold storage.