Thread: "Purebred" Mod

Dude...totally!

Default "Purebred" Mod

OK, so I may be impatient, as I have yet to finish that "7 day mod" I started due a virus I contracted from my roommates 4 year old son, but I'm starting another mod. The time spent in bed gave me more time to think.

I have been using an beige old case with an unknown processor and an unknown motherboard for some time now. I figured it was time to gut it and spread it over my "workbench" for a photo shoot.

The idea of this mod will be to use all the original components and the original case(minus bits here and there of course). After its fixed up and loaded with Linux, I plan on taking what will be a plain beige case with a perfectly functionally PC inside and putting it to use. The theme will depend on how I end up using it, so that may only go as far as giving it a nice flat black paint job, minor lighting, and some exhaust ports(if used in my DC farm).

There will be updates as soon as it finds itself in pieces on my "workbench," so if I end up double posting, I blame whoever reads this before then. :p

Dude...totally!

Default Re: "Purebred" Mod

Late Update: For starters, after walking home from my ex-fiances place in the rain, I decided to treat myself to some red wine, cheap but not bad.(Note: This step is optional and only for responsible adults of the legal drinking in the state/country the mod is performed.)

Then I spread out what parts I had removed from the standard beige box we all dread having under our desks.

Expansion Cards:

Case:

I was disappointed when i first looked at the I/O bracket to see no USB connections and excused the system as being much older than it really is.

I later decided I gave the fellow who assembled this piece of work far too much credit, and that irritated me. I decided to vent by punching the I/O panel until it decided to give me the ports I wanted. It only took one punch(after the removal of the motherboard).

Having that of the situation, I made haste with replacing the Celeron that was originally in place with my old Celeron 667. It was the first CPU i purchased with my own money, and its the most damaged thing next to my AMD based Epox board. The core has pieces of the silicon physically missing, mostly along one of its edges, yet runs at 902 when on my Asus board that is currently running Sonic The Hedgehog at a smooth 1.2ghz.

Whats in that beige box:

The motherboard was quick to refuse the 667, reporting no post beep even with its obnoxious, on-board speaker fully intact(its got no warranty, so that speakers life will be coming to an end soon).

At least I used Arctic Silver thermal compound, not a piece of thick foil and white grease/solid chunks/powder, which is all I could find under the Celeron400(?) and the Celeron900. They both pealed away leaving white residue all over the place. The 633 had nice thick, blue layer of squishy thermal...something...between it and the machined surfaced of the heat sink. The foil piece on the 900 was smooth as could be, but also lacked in the moisture area a bit.

These are for which ever Celerons don't make it into one of my two concurrent mods. If a 633 and 667 ran in tandem on a dual socket 370, I would go get one, but I'm kinda on a budget(that budget being pocket change and what I have to trade).

I now return to my faithful 667 and a rebellious MSI motherboard. Between my two projects, one is sure to come out finished before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_RA View Post
    ...a virus I contracted from my roommates 4 year old Petri Dish...

:p
    Corrected...

Good luck with this mod. I am looking forward to your 7 day mod. If you were closer, we could do a 7 day mod off... Party State, UHm er I mean Chico State is a little far away.

Dude...totally!

no, not a petri dish. those things usually dont come equipped with arms, legs, and a mouth that expels diseases/bacteria/viruses/etc. petri dishes stay in one place and are easy to avoid. this child is, at times, a growth. cute as hell, but once its attacked itself to you, yer a goner.

and trust me, when they teach preschoolers to share, they share everything.

Dude...totally!

Update: Due to current events, this Mod has be postponed until further notice.