Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SGI 540 to PC Mod

Default SGI 540 to PC Mod

I have decided to mod the sgi 540 case I rescued from the dumpster. I was tempted to just get it working, but since it runs a specific version of WIN NT and _nothing_ else (ok so text version of Linux no graphics...), I wanted to actually be able to use the system. Along with a proprietary motherboard, the memory is also sgi's brilliant idea. This mod will take some time because I am working on another mod (Bubble Gum Machine) which has priority and after getting the case to accept an atx mobo, I have to wait for better weather to actually paint the plastics (which will have some mods to it).

Forgive the pictures, they were taken with a 1.4mp sony mavica (floppy drive storage) and my cell phone camera seems better. They don't let me play with the real digital camera anymore since I break everyone I touch (except this mavica for some reason (not that I haven't tried). Let me know if you want any more detail on the old parts.

Here goes.
    This is what I am starting with;

Back view;

Drive door closed;

...open;

Push this button;

...and the side comes off;

The rest of the plastics come off by sliding forward, and the back plastic comes off by squeezing 2 sets of clips and I am left with this chassis;

Better shot of the inside;

Nice info on the side door showing component location;

Stack of plastics;

Close up of the front door with the drive door mechanism. I see a chance for some motorization here;

Shot of the side door release mechanism;

Close shot of the power supply (non standard), drive bays, and the top section of the motherboard;

Middle section showing the cpu's and VR's (only 2 of 4 installed (aluminum heat sinks on right));

Bottom section showing chassis separator (which I have to cut to fit in an atx mobo) and scsi drive bays;

Motherboard removed, still on mobo tray (which I will need to add standoffs to);

Blurry shot with the mobo & tray removed (from the mobo side)(you can see Oscar in the back trying to help);

Everything removed but the fans (which will be replaced) and the mobo tray back in (Oscar is still trying to help);

Three drives removed. Bottom to top: CDROM, Zip drive, floppy. Notice the cool metal shields around the drives. This whole system is full of little metal bits to prevent interference;

I am thinking I will be doing some serious water cooling since this case has _plenty_ of room. I will also be adding more drive bays and some other visuals.

All for now, I have to run to a Hockey game and will post more info and project direction later tonight.

Default Re: SGI 540 to PC Mod

PS I will fix the broken pics tonight too...

Nice box, Too bad you cant make it work, I've read that this system can run:
    WindowsNT4.0
    Capable of running Linux, and Windows2000
    But I'm not sure of my sources, have fun

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

how are you doing on this thing

any news?

LOUD AND PROUD !

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead View Post
    how are you doing on this thing

any news?
    Lots of progress on this mod. I have the case cut to fit an ATX mobo, not going to cover the empty hole up until I figure out the future of this system which may include moving the power supply to the bottom, and the mobo up, along with some water cooling.

I gutted the power supply and installed a regular atx PS into the old PS case (pictures soon). All I have left to do on the power supply is solder the leads back on to the power jack and cover the old fan hole.

Got my sata drives installed in the lower bays. Had to find some right angle sata and power connectors to make it all fit. Too bad the sata cables are so long. I needed about 8" cables but have 12" and 22" cables (the only ones I could find with right angle connectors.

If i get a break today I will post some pics. They are on my phone so it just takes a little time...

I am going to finish this mod in stages and want to get to a power on point so I can sideline it (and use it) and get back to work on my Bubble Gum Machine Mod.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

i just did a litle experiment, i'll post the pics tomorow

the idea is that you can make you'r own sata cables, cut the suckers , tomorw i'll make a tut on how to

LOUD AND PROUD !

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead View Post
    i just did a litle experiment, i'll post the pics tomorow

the idea is that you can make you'r own sata cables, cut the suckers , tomorw i'll make a tut on how to
    I have the cable press, I just need the ends to make my own. I used to make my own custom ide, scsi and floppy cables when I needed them.

Do post the tutorial, I would be interested before I close this thing up and rack it...

i dont hava a cable press, but i found out today, that the connector of a sata cable has a very smart construction

you prob know this better than me, but it has the connector itself and a cover, its this cove that it is great, you can just pop it open, cut the whires and solder them in the new lengh

PS: could post a pic of this press

LOUD AND PROUD !

GT40; Similar to this model, but a 3M brand.

http://www.panavise.com/nf/presses/press_506.html

Has an automatic cable cutter, or you can disable the cutter for multi-connector cables. It also has changeable dies for different connectors. Got it from a company I worked at many years ago when they stopped making cables. I also have a hand press for mainly ide cables. No cutter though, and cutting ribbon cables can be a biatch! It's not cutting the cable that presents the problem, rather making sure no wires short together. That is why a sharp knife is a must.

hey bozo could you give me some backround info on this machine i dont get to see many old pcs and i love to look at old expansion slots and stuff like that because im the baby in the forum lol

ps also did they like cut the memory and the dimm slots in half or sumtin thats kinda wierd
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha