Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Linux?

Unless I am mistaken, Linux is a free OS is it not? If that is not true then please correct me.

If it is a free OS, then where might I download it? And once I download it, how do I install it onto my computer? Also, I read something about partitioning the drive if it has an OS already on it? How do I prep my *used* drive to install linux? keep in mind though that I can not login to windows because it is password protected from the previous user.

Thanks for your help!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Linux?

Yes, its free, and it is Open Source.
    Heres the website for different distros: http://distrowatch.com/
    I'd recommend you to start with Ubuntu though: http://www.ubuntu.com/

About partitions, as far as I know, you cant separate a already partitioned 80gb HD to 2 40gb logical drives, because that would erase anything on it.
    Basically, you just need a clean HD which is going to be formatted later on by the linux install.
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

You can either reformat and make 2 partitions when you reformat..
    or you can try this: http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...d=sp&pvid=pm80
    It's 70 bucks, but chances are you will dl it... like my roommate did.

I would still recommend reformatting. My friend used this on his computer three times, but one time it didn't do it properly... eee.

Okay, I am downloading Ubuntu for Desktop now. I'll follow the webpage on what to do when I am done. But what do I do once I have it on a CD? Do I just turn my computer on and pop in the CD? I can't login into windows so do I do something in the bios or will it do it for me automatically?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

You've got to have your CDROM on primary boot, and your HD on secondary.
    Then it will just autostart it.
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

Yep, like ESX said, set CDROM to first boot device, then whatever you want second (probably hard drive). Then, GRUB will load and you want to choose "Start or Install Ubuntu". Then, the loader will appear, you will be taken to the desktop with Gnome (window manager) and on the desktop will be an icon called "Install Ubuntu" or something to that effect. Start it up, follow the on-screen instructions, and choose the partition(s) you want to install on. Let it install, and you have a working dual-boot system. Just don't install over your NTFS partition, or you won't have Windows anymore.

Also, if you try out some of the software before you install, don't be worried if it is really slow. It's running all of it off of the CD, so it's going to be slow.
    RIP Bucko

lol

I was just about to say that it was REALLY slow. Especially on this old hunk of junk.

What kind of vid games can you play using this? For example...

WoW?

WarRock?

AAO?

Oblivion?

Those are pretty much the only games I play. Are any of them compatible?

Also, can you use MSN Messenger on Ubuntu?

-SnowFire

Games: This will help you out.

MSN: Yes, Gaim (which comes default) has AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Google, ICQ, and a bunch of other messenger programs all bundled in one package. You just select the provider (AIM, MSN, etc.), type your username and password, and you're all set.
    RIP Bucko

Or you can use Wine to run Windows' games and programs, just check this website: http://www.winehq.com/

Also, with your first question (Linux being free) is both a yes and no. Some distros are free (Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mandriva Free, openSUSE, Fedora, PHLAK and the list goes on...) but some aren't.

About Wine. It works with lots of games, but some don't work. I know it works with Steam, and I think WoW, but other than that I haven't checked it much. I finally got it running and then my computer died, so I didn't bother reading about it more. I don't use Ubuntu much for gaming since I have Windows on the same machine, and I think to have WoW or Steam running on both Windows and Ubuntu, you need to install on both, meaning double the space is being used, so I just stick with Windows for gaming. But if you really want to game in Ubuntu, also check out Cedega. It's like Wine but you pay for it and it has a wider range of supported games.
    RIP Bucko