Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Community PC

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Default Re: Community PC

I was not going to say this but I am now.

I have not took any part so far in the the whole community PC because from the start I could see everybody falling out over it. Remember too many cooks spoil the broth - and I think serveral people all trying to input for one idea is not going to work. I know some people are really excited about this, but at the end of the day it is upto the kid and what he/she wants.

Minty I completely agree. Ther is five words in your post which I thing mean more than what everybody has posted about this so far. 'This is' 'from the heart.'

This will be my first and last post on the matter

Nuff sed

-gaz
    Last edited by gaz_the_chav; 12-20-2006 at 11:08 PM. Reason: cos it needed doin

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaz_the_chav View Post
    I was not going to say this but I am now.

I have not took any part so far in the the whole community PC because from the start I could see everybody falling out over it. Remember too many cooks spoil the broth - and I think serveral people all trying to input for one idea is not going to work. I know some people are really excited about this, but at the end of the day it is upto the kid and what he/she wants.

Minty I completely agree. Ther is five words in your post which I thing mean more than what everybody has posted about this so far. 'This is' 'from the heart.'

Nuff sed

-gaz

Yeah, I know about the whole falling out problem. My school robotics team was overpopulated in the manufacturing department and didn't get **** done. now, there's somewhere around 8 people as opposed to 30.

But here's the good thing about it -- we have no say in the design. So all we're really doing is shooting the ****, tossing around ideas (and some fruitcakes suggesting that we try to make a profit off of this...) and so forth. But as gaz and minty said, this is from the heart, not just of one person, but all involved, to the child. I don't care if they don't use it. I don't care if they don't have a nice internet connection. I don't care that we could make money selling it. This is supposed to be completely selfless.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Well I'm not sure that anyone was trying to make money off of it, just _more_ money to give to a charity. I am staying out of the "design" and only offering parts as they are needed.

Anywhoo, I personally think that the idea of building a custom computer for some deserving child is better than throwing money at a charity. Let the bankers do that and we can do something we are good at; build a kick butt system for a kid that will enjoy it better than the dell that they would otherwise get. The sum of the parts will be greater than the $$ they would bring in.

Again I personally do not give money to charities, I donate needed items and give of my time, which means 100% of my donation gets to the person that needs it.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Overclocked

The idea is nice, it's for a good cause. Is there any need though? Hell, any want?

Emotions aside.

Get in touch with someone with make a wish foundation, make an offer, and see if any kid wants one.

If nobody wants it, your time has been wasted.

If that falls through, Call up a children's hospital. I'm pretty sure they could use a station. Kids go in and come out of hospitals like that all the time. Someone would love it.

Sorry for sounding pessimistic, however I'm only being practical.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Paul has posted that Make A Wish gets about 60 requests per year for computers, not all of them can be filled. We're just waiting on the word from them to move forward.

Overclocked

I thought I read through it well enough. Well, you miss some, then look like an idiot, or an ass. Either way, have it written in stone before you move. Then get it done in <1 month. Hell the kid might not live longer than that.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    I thought I read through it well enough. Well, you miss some, then look like an idiot, or an ass. Either way, have it written in stone before you move. Then get it done in <1 month. Hell the kid might not live longer than that.
    No looking like asses around here, it's buried a few pages deep in another thread. It's all good.

Overclocked

The whole "Community" part of the project was that everybody had their say. So far, nothing like that has happened. Already, somebody did something on their own (good for them) but without consulting the group.

Quite a few members of the group have voiced their opinions on what they want. NO, we don't want to make a profit, we just want the money to be given to multiple charities.

IMHO, money is far more useful to a charity. For example, if we raised $5000, and 50 kids wanted to see their dad for one last time, and it would cost $100 to make that happen, thats 50 kids happy, instead of just one.

If you donated to cancer research, how many peoples lives may change because of that? 1000s. If the money we donated could give everybody one extra day with that loved one, wouldn't that be better than making one child happy?

I know it sounds selfish, but its just my opinion. I don't want this kid to lose out, im just saying their are much better causes. I doubt a single person on this forum has not been affected by cancer.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by chedabob View Post
    IMHO, money is far more useful to a charity. For example, if we raised $5000, and 50 kids wanted to see their dad for one last time, and it would cost $100 to make that happen, thats 50 kids happy, instead of just one.
    I wish it were that simple with charities. Most of them have other expenses to cover before the people get the help the charity is there to provide. Which is why I do not give money to them. I will volunteer time first. That way I can be 100% sure that my intended assistance is received. I still stand behind this project no matter what happens, charity, make a wish, donation to a childrens hospital, and I will not widthdraw my offer. Personally, I feel very strongly that the Make a Wish is the way to go with this one. There's nothing to say that we can't do another project in the near future. I'm sure there are more than enough spare parts to build more than 1 machine.

I don't know if I've voiced this to you or not chedabob, but this was an excellent idea. Helping others is such a selfless act, and sometimes takes very little effort. The impact on the other hand is tremendous.

Look, chedabob, we are not here to argue about what cause is better than the other, or where best our efforts can be focused. If it were up to me, I'd give to every organization that was in need.

And "who" is this "who" that did something on thewir own? Me? Yes I took the ball and ran with it, coming up with an idea that people seem to like, and that best directs our efforts to help someone in the very near future, not by handing cash to an organization and patting ourselves on the back.

$5000 is what these charitable organizations spend on POST-IT notes for the year--very little of that money will go to helping people once that buck is passed around. We have the opportunity with Make-a-Wish to directly improve the happiness and outlook for one single person. This is more than some people do in a lifetime. You have to help ONE person before you can help many.

Why not go with the grain on this one, and by all means build a few killer casemods over the next year and we'll donate hardware for it so you can sell it on ebay and give to the charity of your choice.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 12-20-2006 at 10:59 AM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.