Thread: first case mod

Default first case mod

what's up everyone! first off, i wanna say that some of you guys should consider a career in custom body work, the stuff you guys put out is amazing. anyways... new case modder here, but i do have experience in modding. i have been doing custom body work for the last 2 years. i have done a lot of things similar to what is done in case mods, wiring, cutting, soldering, painting, and fiberglassing. i also mess around and modify die cast models to lay on the ground. now on to the case...here is what i'm starting with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1165608727

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1165608809

i don't know the specs off the top of my head, and i'm in a bit of a rush because i have to go to work in about 10 minutes.

my plans aren't too extreme. for the inside, i want to paint the inside metal black, since that baremetal showing on the right side of the window is ugly! clean up the wiring a lot more. add some blue led fans and some blue cathodes. then for the outside, i wanna keep everything how it is except for the front face, and maybe adding some exhaust fan cut outs. on the face i want to shave the lines. move the power led's somewhere else (thinking on top) and replace with blue ones. also move/replace the power and reset buttons to the top, unless you guys have some other ideas that would look good. i don't plan on using a floppy, so i might either get something useful to fill the ports, or just fiberglass it smooth. i'm gonna be replacing the cd drives, if possible, one that can burn cds/dvds and also play dvds (don't know if they make them?). if not, then i'll have 2, one to burn and one to play. then with the extra spots i'm thinking of fiberglassing in a monitor. then the front will be painted either black, white or gray, minus the fan grill, drives, and usb cover.

i also want to mod my mouse and keyboard. just want to replace the red leds in the mouse to blue, and maybe add blue lights to the inside of my keyboard with an on/off switch...

i'll be coming here for advice as you guys seem to know what you're doing! let me know what you think

tinfoil-underwear

Default Re: first case mod

Cool!!!
    Welcome to the boards!!!!!

As to the optical drives... yeah, they make all types of them
    The ones you can read cd/dvd.
    The ones you can burn cds and read dvds.
    The ones you can burn cds and burn dvds.
    All sorts of stuff.

Good to know you've got experience with sheet metal work!
    I'll be asking you various questions later on... I've got a project car I'm working on. My baby.

Peace micdizzle
    AJ

Default Re: first case mod

First oiff let me say welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll find tons of helpful people around here if you have any questions. Secondly, nice case, it always helps to have a good simple case to start modding with, I tried scratch building my first mod, it turned out "ok", but kinda fell apart in not so long :p.

Anyway, sounds like you got a good plan on what your doing. I would recommend that if you plan on taking apart your keyboard you do it very slowly and carefully. Each key has a small plastic knob that can fall off, if it does you'll need to realign it with the key, something you don't want to have to do more than about 20 times...(also tried that as my second mod...that was a harsh learning experience <_<). Anyway good luck, can't wait to see it done!