Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Overclocking Colors

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Bad Overclocking Colors

Hi, I've been doing some overclocking on my comp. I got OCZ DDR2 800 RAM and a C2D E6700 @ 2.66GHz. I've overclocked it to 3.33GHz and DDR2 833. I've got the Vcore at 1.4000 and Memory at 1.95 Volts. I want to overclock alot more, but when I raise the voltages any higher than those they turn purple when they are normally white. A couple values higher than that it turns red. I've found I can't O.C. past 3.33GHz on 1.4 volts, is it ok to set the voltages to those purple and/or red colored values?

Thanks, Indybird

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Bad Overclocking Colors

Generally, I've found that once you start bumping up the voltages you're going to reach the limit soon. When I overclocked my rig video card, it appeared to be directly correlated with the temps. If you want to push your hardware a lot further, I would invest in better cooling (if you're just running the hot heatsink or something). The conroe core doesn't run too hot so you really don't have to get anything exotic unless you want to oc' like it by 2 Ghz or something.

Well I've got nice aftermarket cooling for my RAM and CPU so Im not worried about that. Im just wondering if the colored voltages are bad...

Dude...totally!

what are your temps looking like. regardless of how nice of a cooler oyu have, if your cpu gets to hot its not going to go much further. whats your idea of a lot more, i think a 20% oc is pretty good these days. these arent old school celerons were talking bout. you might need phase change cooling to get anything better, lol

On full load Im running about 38 degrees. Besides, half the people on newegg (out of 500) who got the E6700 bragged about how they got it to 3.8GHz on stock cooling...

Case Wizard

Did those people on newegg say what their temps were on stock cooling at 3.8 GHz?

Full load at 38C doesn't sound bad to me.

Dude...totally!

well, you also have to consider the stepping of the core. and just cuz it ocs well for others doesnt mean it will for you. did you read all 500 reviews? also, what about your MB? what is it and hows the temps on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    Did those people on newegg say what their temps were on stock cooling at 3.8 GHz?

Full load at 38C doesn't sound bad to me.
    Yes, they were, a couple even had my board.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_RA View Post
    well, you also have to consider the stepping of the core. and just cuz it ocs well for others doesnt mean it will for you. did you read all 500 reviews? also, what about your MB? what is it and hows the temps on that?
    O.k, maybe I didn't say it very clear. Temperatures are not a problem at all whatsoever. I CAN overclock past 3.33GHz, but I need to raise the voltages of course. I have it at 1.4v and the voltage text is white. However, when I raise it to 1.425v the voltage text turns purple. Mind you I haven't applied these settings yet but its purple. What does that mean?

Im either guessing it means:
    1) ASUS does not recommend voltages that high
    -or-
    2) Those voltages are bad for my proc.

Please help,
    Thanx, Indybird

That really seems weird that raising the cpu core voltage would affect the video subsystem. Is your cpu voltage tied to the pci bus voltage? Check to see if you can unlink the two, or if there is a separate voltage option for the pci bus.

Usually the way you know you have gone too far raising the voltage is that your system will just shutdown or reboot for no reason or just not work at all. I have not seen the purple effect you are experiencing.

ATX Mental Case

Those colors are really just guidelines, usually the colors change depending on the "danger", the are supposed warning you that you are risking a fried cpu. These colors might be overprotective so, you might be able to go well into the reds without a problem. However, before you experiment yourself, check out the voltages the other people were running when they pushed it the 3.8. I hope this helps.