Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolermaster window cut

Fresh Paint

Red face Coolermaster window cut

I have a black Praetorian Coolermaster case, that I love the look of, but I want to jazz up a tiny bit.

I went and ordered Coolermasters side panel, since I found one for very cheap and I don't have much space to mod in my current apartment.
    Anyway, it came, and I was none to happy with it.

The window is nice, and the panel is made to fit the case, but it seems that Coolermaster cheaped out on the panels and made them out of plastic. There are metal brackets that clip onto the case when teh panel is attached, but the rest of the panel is a glossy plastic.

Now, with my case being a matte brushed alumninum, a plastic crappy shiny panel doesn't match at all.. other than the fact that it is black.

Soooo, I've been looking to replace this for some time.
    I'm still not 100% that Coolermaster doesnt make one that IS alumninum, but I've ordered 2 and they're both crappy plastic.

1)So question 1 is has anyone seen a Coolermaster panel that is made out of the same aluminum as the case.

2) I do have the original and I could certainly cut it and mount the plexi from the crappy panel. Problem is, that I dont have the tools or the space really. Even if I did, I wouldn't want to ruin the stock panel with my a newbie dremel cut. I want this thing to have PERFECT cuts if it is done.
    I know about computer driven cutting setups.. has anyone done anything like that?
    Otherwise any suggestions for cutting the hole?
    It will match the hole cut in the plastic board, a big rounded square.

Thanks in advance

Water Cooled

Default Re: Coolermaster window cut

you get it cut by waterjets, plasma cutters or cnc machines pretty easily and mount the plexi window in it, but if you have a dremmel with a cut-off disk and a sander bit you can easily do it yourself. after reading some tutorials and 5 mins of practice you shouldnt have any probs.

Fresh Paint

Hi Frakk,

My only concern with the dremel is that it is my first cut, and I'm not putting those ugly rubber weather stripping window in, so any errors in the cut will show.

If i was doing straight 90 degree corners, I would probably attempt it, but the rounded edges scare me a bit. Plus if I get it cut by machine, I could probably design a nicer hole.

Do you know how much it would run for me to get something like that cut?
    Would I send it someplace, or is it fairly easy to find local shops?
    I'm in Boston in case you know any

Water Cooled

i dont know about local shops, neither the price. if you have the dremel, learn to use it on some scrap metal. trust me its worth it. you will know how to use it plus you will have the pride of making it all by ureself. after all thatswhy we are here.

Fresh Paint

Hmm..
    It would be nice to do it myself, but my apartment is fairly small and I would like some space to be able to clamp stuff down etc.

If I did find some space would it be better to use a jigsaw instead? I'm more familiar with them, and cutting sideways seems a little odd to me.

Water Cooled

Do you have a patio at all? When my wife and I lived in a condo, that is where I did my first cutting with my dremel
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Fresh Paint

I dont have a patio unfortunately. I have a small 1 bedroom.

Anyway jigsaw vs dremel?

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    I dont have a patio unfortunately. I have a small 1 bedroom.

Anyway jigsaw vs dremel?
    If you are wanting to make trial run at it. Get a 2x2' .025mm thick or one close to the case door from a hardware store and work on that.

Lack of space is going to be a problem, do you have an area you can work on by your front door? (small note: Dont do mods in an apt at 2am someone might not like it to much )

Water Cooled

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    Anyway jigsaw vs dremel?
    Whatever you feel is better fits.

Look up Water Jet cutting services since you will be working with Alu. Plasma can cause warping if your design is too delicate and detailed.

There is a guy that you can ship your panel to and he will cut the design for you...
    Crim has used him before....Custom Water Jet services