Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have an idea...

Dude...totally!

Default Re: I have an idea...

first, before we decide on rules, budget, or anything like that...we need dedicated participants. ^_^ i don't do sketch up. i never even draw my mods out before doing them. its all in my mind. :p

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by b4i7 View Post
    this sounds like an interesting idea...form up some teams. and have a basic case to use for the design.......i almost smell a modders challenge coming on...

we could have a sign up....then everyone is randomly selected for a team...that way all the super modders hopefully dont wind up on the same team....so its an all balanced competition

or if you did the one does one part then passes it off thing....then branching could occur...then you would see what kind of crazy ideas could be made...

either way
    im up for it...
    I thought the same thing! I think a cometition would be fun and it would add something extra to the forum.
    I can post a basic set of rules I have used in the past for designing websites in a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ESIX View Post
    So its like this: X number of people on a project, set theme, set budget.
    However, I still think there should be something like an application thread for each project, because 30 people working on one project is kinda hard both in reality and the virtual world.
    Yes, in the "real" world, people would get in a room and "design", then certain individuals would be responsible for certain things. This is usually setup in an RCS repository style, so that only one person can check out the file at one time.

You could setup the "case file" on an RCS system so that while someone makes changes, the file is locked from being checked out until the person editing checks it back in (you should setup a time limit too). Let me know if you like this idea and I will donate my site as an RCS repository, and I will handle the software setup too.

There would definitely have to bee a little order to this to make sure all aspects of the case are covered (ie: 3 people working on the side panel, no-one working on the drive bays...)

Anodized

Default List of Rules

Definition
    Mod chains allow a bunch of users to contribute little by little to a mod design in order to create a 3d model of a mod using google sketch up.
    Mod chains allow for a free flow of ideas and styles.

Basic Rules
    - Do not delete someone else's addition to the mod.
    - Do not add too much it’s a group thing not a one man army.
    - Try to match colors and keep the theme going.
    - You must call “dibs” first before beginning to add your part.
    - You cannot call dibs until the person who is in possession of the mod posts what the have done. (So there is not a waiting list of modders)
    - Do not post a change to the mod if you do not have dibs.
    - After you edit it, post what you did on it.
    - Only Mod Chain hosts may reverse or take away a mod someone has done.

All finished mods will be posted in the Completed Mods thread.

Dude...totally!

Default Re: List of Rules

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Definition
    Mod chains allow a bunch of users to contribute little by little to a mod design in order to create a 3d model of a mod using google sketch up.
    Mod chains allow for a free flow of ideas and styles.

Basic Rules
    - Do not delete someone else's addition to the mod.
    - Do not add too much it’s a group thing not a one man army.
    - Try to match colors and keep the theme going.
    - You must call “dibs” first before beginning to add your part.
    - You cannot call dibs until the person who is in possession of the mod posts what the have done. (So there is not a waiting list of modders)
    - Do not post a change to the mod if you do not have dibs.
    - After you edit it, post what you did on it.
    - Only Mod Chain hosts may reverse or take away a mod someone has done.

All finished mods will be posted in the Completed Mods thread.
    Definitely a good set of rules, but theres always gonna be issues, just like with any set of rules. also, i have a few suggestions, this is a group project anyways, right ^_^

after calling dibs, that means no one else can change the design until that person is done, right? so in some cases, i think there should be more than one "dibs" allowed, and a time limit of some sort on each dibs, unless otherwise stated. example: i call dibs on the front panel, im new to sketch up, so ill need more time. that leaves the rest of the case open for everyone else to mess with. there should also be a "good taste" rule of some sort, I'm sure others would agree. i don't mean in a nit-picking fashion. i just don't want a tacky hood ornament poking out the top of my case, and im sure you don't either, lol.

i would really like to get into sketch up if this idea works, so i might start by modding designs and not submitting them or calling dibs. i tried 3D programs before, not my thing apparently.

Anodized

"there should also be a "good taste" rule of some sort, I'm sure others would agree. i don't mean in a nit-picking fashion. i just don't want a tacky hood ornament poking out the top of my case, and im sure you don't either, lol."

Yeah thats why I posted that Chain Hosts can reverse or take away others add ons

Lets do it this way,

1.) We have another thread for people to say whether they want to participate or not, you apply by posting "Im in" or something, and also say wheter or not you do know how to use google sketch-up.

2.) There will be a deadline for sign-ups, maybe.. a week or something. After that all of the names will be put into two lists: Those who know google sketch-up and those who don't but want to participate. Depending on the number of people who know sketch-up teams will be formed, making sure that at least one person in the team knows how to... well... sketch.

3.) The teams work on the sketch-up mod together for a number of weeks, this means that you don't have to know google sketch up to be able to compete. This way everyone can compete.

4.) Each team then works together to make a mod. Mods are then submitted to a final thread.

We might need an admin to help us with this, for we are but simple users.

Anodized

I think this should be 2 different things... One just as discussed as bfore then like a monthly mod team contest.
    Thats just my thoughts

Dude...totally!

Is there a way to lock a post to everyone but a select number of people. Like how Pauls work logs are all him. These would be all one group, with maybe a ocmment thread. Perhaps Paul could make a section for this sort of thing, depending on how many people are into it.

To be honest, this is actually one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. I like to see fresh thoughts come to life.
    Last edited by AKA_RA; 12-04-2006 at 08:05 PM. Reason: wewt...i done spelld gud -_-

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_RA View Post
    To be honest, this is actually one of the best ideas I've head in a while. I like to see fresh thoughts come to life.
    Err... your idea?