Thread: Server idea

Blast from the Past

Default Server idea

Okay,

So I am now involved in the makings of an entertainment website, where there will be sketch comedy movies, funny photos, articles, etc,etc,etc......

I am in charge of coding it, and finding a web host.

Here's my solution:

Take a PS2, the big kind, and put in it a Mobo with onboard video and sound, put in a 500gb hard drive, a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4, 512mb Ram, use the PSU from the PS2 and the optical drive from the PS2 as well.

Also, the main body would be gray, and anywhere that was blue on the PS2, would be crimson or orange. (As some of you can tell, I am a fan of the whole gray/orange thing...)

Any thoughts--especially about hardware--would be great.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Server idea

Does a PS2 have a PSU that you can use to power all of that?

I'm going to take a guess and say you are going to use a Mini-ITX motherboard? As a Standard ATX won't fit. Hmmm, I'm actually not entirely sure if you can put P4's in ITX boards?? Anyone know if you can? If you want to shell out about $300USD, you can get a Conroe ready ITX board. You can check out some other Intel ITX boards on Newegg.com Here.

FYI- Standard mobo's are 12"x9.6" inches. I had a PS2 original once upon a time ago, but if I recall right, ATX dimensions exceed the case dimensions. ITX is 6.7"x6.7" inches and most come with a built in processor.

BTW- If you do figure out how to get what you want in there, how are you going to cool it? Surely you would need adequate cooling for a P4, 512MB RAM, and a 500GB HDD? Unless of course, you are planning to have the HDD external, but even then, you will need a pretty innovative/effective cooling solution.

I think we have a member or two on these boards that have done what you are trying to do, maybe they will reply with a message that will better help you achieve your goal.

Here is another idea for you, well, if you are good at building things that is. Maybe try taking some acrylic from estreetplastics.com (they are the cheapest) and build a large *replica* of a PS2? It would be a sort of "tribute" to Playstation if you will. That idea of course, being that you love Playstation which inspired you to do a "Mod". My guess though, is that you just wanted to rig up a PS2. ^^ Who wouldn't though? It's a sweet idea.

Update:
    I had another idea, buy a used Xbox, then mod that. Those have much more room to work with and you could probably put a Case Fan in the center logo and on the back for more cooling. You might even be able to fit a ATX mobo in there?

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

Check my thead in the trade forums.

Just a heads up, the drive won't work, as it uses some sony proprietery wiring system. I think the controller board is built into the motherboard.

The psu won't work either, as it uses a 4 pin connector direct to the main board.

I still reckon you could fit a mini ITX board, a psu, a hard drive, and a slim dvd drive in it. The HDD bay is pretty big, so I reckon you could fit at least the hard drive and the psu in there.

Blast from the Past

I'm using a micro ATX that can have a P4.
    The mobo dimensions are 9.0" x 7.8". Would that fit?
    I think it might....I might have to go measure my old PS2.

The PSU for the PS2 might not work, due to well, compatibility issues and plug in issues.........

I was going to use fans and heatsinks. Since this isn't a vastly powerful machine, I figured it would be okay without watercooling...I mean, come on...intel integrated graphics.........
    But I was going to be figuring more of it out once I started......

I spose I have my work cut out for me then, trying to get all of this to work, using a slim DVD and a new PSU, and all....
    Last edited by jaxspades; 12-04-2006 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Needed to add a response to chedabob.

Overclocked

I just had a quick look, and I reckon if you had a Micro ATX board and psu, you could possibly also still fit a 3.5inch HDD and a standard dvd drive.

Fans and heatsinks would work good, but you would have to get the layout correctly.

It could be done easily, but you better have 1337 dremel skillz.

Blast from the Past

No, No skills...

Good news though--I am getting a Dremel for Christmas!!!
    YA!

Overclocked

Id attempt it with my broken ps2, but theres nothing for me to gain with a mini-atx psu. If anything, im shooting myself in the foot