Thread: Dual PSU case

Fresh Paint

Default Dual PSU case

Well I'm not new to these forums I have been reading these forums for about 6 months just never posted anything here. I saw the post about the Dual PSU mod. Also I read that one PSU powers the Mobo and the other one powers the fans and lights. I was just wondering if it's possible to use two PSU's to power a single motherboard.

Well here is why I ask. I bought a case and started modding it, just a few simple mods, but sadly since I was a noob I didn't do a real good job, I'll post pics later. After I completed my case I ordered parts for my computer I got a DFI lanparty SLI-d Motherboard, a dual core CPU, two hard drives, two dvd burners and two graphics cards. The DFI website said when using the mobo I should first install one of everything and to add the rest once the OS is installed. I did that and my rig wouldn't power up. I later read that my mobo needed a minimum of 480watts. I bought a 600 watt PSU. So I unhooked the DVD player and since it was freezing my room all my fans and sure enough the mobo started up. Now if it's possible to run a stable rig powered by 2 PSU's I plan on build a case from scratch. But if it's not I'll just buy better PSU.

Default Re: Dual PSU case

What you mean is: can I have a PSU that power up the MOBO (the 600W) and another one to powerup the rest of the hardware? The answer is yes. You need to wire together the the 13th pin from both PSU for the ground and the 14th for the power. I think CoolerMaster did an adaptor for this kind of stuff.
    Just check and yes they did, it look like this

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Fresh Paint

Cool thanks for the feed back. I was under the impression that your other PSU was only powering up lights and fans. Well I'll start working on my new case soon.

I've created a monster...

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

I've created a monster...
    haa haa haa! I love how good ideas are contageous.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

yeah...ive thought about the whole dual psu thing before...may have to use it in my upcoming project

Fresh Paint

Well I'm gonna have to put this mod on the back burner for a month or so. I still can't figure out how to set up the case. Also my friend is giving me a mid tower and a PSU for free. I'll be using the PSU for my Dual PSU case. As for the tower I will be moving my younger brothers HP parts into it, He wants to add a second HD but the ****t HP case only comes with room for 1 HD, also i modded his HP case and it didn't turn out to nicely. Now that my Dermel skills are alot better I plan to giv my bro a nicer looking case.

Fresh Paint

Well I was bored at work tonight so i started designing my Dual PSU Case. I want to keep the design simple nothing to radical and I wanted it to look like a normal PC box as I can. I decided to my the entire case out of Acrylic sheets for the panels and square rods for the frame. I don't want a flat case that has no curves so i was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would use to do some modeling work on acrylic. DO I have to buy a special type of Bondo and something completely different?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but I'll help you the best I can.

To FUSE acrylic together (NOT GLUE, BAD! lol) you should do some research on Weld-On. That website also has "acrylic cement" which does the same thing.

If you are wanting some curves out of your acrylic then you will have to get something like THIS. That is a pretty expensive product so I would advise looking around for the same thing but cheaper. There is a way you can make your own, but I don't remember how. You might want to search these forums or google for how to make one if you are trying to be cost efficient. *If you do make one, don't hold me responsible if something goes wrong. I've never made one, so I have no idea how dangerous it is if at all. lol not to discourage you or anything. ^^

Bondo... is body filler. HERE is a good example of how to use bondo and in what kind of situations to use it. If you are going for a clear case, I wouldn't recommend it because it isn't clear.

Just for fun, check THIS out. It might give you some inspiration!

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the info SnowFire. I'm not planning on having a clear case. I was really wondering on if can use any type of bondo or do I need to buy special types of bondo for acrylic. I want to be able to do bondo work like the HP3 res case you linked in your reply.