Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling Queries

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Watercooling Queries

Ok, I am thinking about purchasing a watercooling setup i just want to know everything from pipe diamiter to layout and coolant.

I have had my eye on a few products for a while now but first i'll give you the facts.

Currently i am running an AMD Athlon 3400 (socket 745) with a stock cooler, 1 GB of RAM, AGP 6600GT (128mb) and a 200 GB HDD. I have an NZXT Lexa case and this is all powered by an Antec Neo HE 550 PSU. I am going to up grade by august next year and currently my upgrade stands as a CORE 2 Duo E6600, 2GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ RAM, Abit AW9D - MAX Mobo and at the moment a 7950GT but i will get a 8800GTS.

I have been having a look at some sights but no one does it as well as the guys here so i am asking for your advice.

Here is the list of parts that i have had my eye on, and yes they are thermaltake so don't rip my head off over this.

Thermaltake Aquabay M3 Reservoir = $35.00 AUS

Thermaltake TMG1 Radiator = ?

Thermaltake Volcano 4008 or 4005 = $95.00AUS (4005)

I haven't chosen a pump yet and tubing is now problem, I just need the right diameter.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Watercooling Queries

Thanks for that. Um just to let you know the prices i listed for those items i listed were found on an australian based pc search engine called staticice.com.If you know of any good australian stores can you please let me know because i don't want to order overseas. Thanks.

There are a few Australian websites... but for some reason I can't remember what they are!? We have a few members from Australia so they should reply here soon with some linkage. ^^

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Thanks for your help. Because it's my first build i've decided to go with what i can get my hands on. I want to buy a kit for my first build rather than purchase every individual part because that way i can fiddle with it and not spend a heap of cash.

I have decided to go for the Thermaltake Bigwater 745 and also buy a Thermaltake AquaBay M3.

One question i have with this set up is because the pump has a res attached to it and i'm using the AquaBay should i make the Aquabay run to the water tank on the pump and then let the pump do its thing or should i make the pump pump water into the Aquabay and then onto the cpu block.

It think it would be easier and safer to go aquabay - res - pump - cpu block - 120mm rad - 2400mm rad - aquabay.

When i upgrade my system and get a 8800GTS i'll add that to the loop inbetween the two radiators. that should keep the liquid cool enough.

Any feed back would be great. THANKS.

My opinion about the 745 is this, you aren't going to see much of a difference between a high end fan system and that low end H2O kit. That kit to me, is just so you can SAY you have water cooling. If thats what you want, then by all means go for it. Most of that kit, is pretty un-expandable. It's really a CPU only kit, if you add anything else in the loop your not going to be happy with it. If you are dead set on that kit, I would go with it for a low heat producing CPU and a "ok" video card. It wont cool a high end CPU and/or a high end graphics unit. Not effectively or as efficiently as a "water cooling kit" should.

Btw what are your computer specs for what you have right now and for what you wish to upgrade to in the future??

-SnowFire

If you are a bit tight on money, I would recommend this kit over that Thermaltake 745 as the reviews are much much better and one even mentioned cooling a 8800GTX successfully.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16835128015

FYI- These kits are cheaper than if you were to build one yourself for a reason. Just keep that in mind. My honest advice would be to save up your money and build it yourself. Most Pre-made kits just don't cut it when it comes to effectively cooling high end equipment and the ones that DO cool effectively will cost you a bundle compared to if you build it yourself.

-SnowFire

Thanks for that. I was going to add on to the system and upgrade as i needed it, i'm not a big overclocker so i don't see the point of spending $350+ on a water cooling system, i rather get a physx card. I have heard good things about that gigabyte system but for me the thermaltake one is fine for what i need it for,

Well let us know how it turns out! Good Luck!

I just bought a watercooling system on DD (Danger Den), and the whole thing was about $250 altogether. Thats for the Radiator, Res, Tubes, Core 2 Block, Pump, Clamps, Fillport.

I don't know if I would say I spent TOP dollar, but I definately didn't skimp. I can then add parts as I go if I wanted to cool my GPU, memory, HD, Mobo..etc.

If you buy a cheap brand, chances are you will regret it later when you learn more about watercooling, and then end up spending more to upgrade. On the plus side... watercooling for $90!!