Thread: Powerbook 12in superdrive they are ace!

ATX Mental Case

Default Powerbook 12in superdrive they are ace!

Following the theme of the apple branded crack I thought I'd post this thread about my new powerbook. Its my first proper mac though I have a g4 under my desk it never gets used at present due to space.

I decided on the 12in superdrive powerbook and I dont regret it.

Picked up the powerbook yesterday afternoon at the local apple supplier in the UK. They were very friendly again and I was in and out within 5mins with my new powerbook.

First impression have been very good its simply the most booooootiful laptop out there and I'm a sucker for that hehe. OSx is great some of the stuff it can do is superb as is the eyecandy. The performance is very good on the g4 and it feels just as good as my shuttle for most stuff.

I've had a few crashes of osx mainly installing programs but sometimes just trying to load programs. Only a few times but enough to annoy me a wee bit.

I'm still learning about the machine tbh, I've had a few other problems crop up mainly trying to import my email stuff across from my shuttle was not as easy as I thought it would be and required me buying an application called outlook2mac to convert everything across simply.

The Outlook2mac worked a treat, a bit dissapointing that I had to buy it for something that should be very simple to do, and seeing as the switching is easy rubbish on the apple site something they should have thought about and included in osx.

My first bad thing about the pb, the only other niggles is that I find iTunes and iPhoto a bit basic. I had my photo's perfectly ordered in folders but iphoto seems to ignore them same with mp3's with itunes. Maybe just that I've missed something though

More pics here

http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery/powerbook
    gordyhand.co.uk

The SlackMeister

Default Re: Powerbook 12in superdrive they are ace!

nice laptop. Macs look very good, but i am so used to XP that its hard for me to use a Mac.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlacker
    nice laptop. Macs look very good, but i am so used to XP that its hard for me to use a Mac.
    So true. I would much rather buy an Acer laptop with a Pentium M than a PowerBook. Very nice general-use laptop, though. Good choice... Windows just spoiled me
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

Anodized

I've had a few crashes of osx mainly installing programs but sometimes just trying to load programs. Only a few times but enough to annoy me a wee bit.
    Were you running classic at the time? I have noticed alot of problems running classic. Mine locks up almost every time I run it. Overall OSX is a good os though.

ATX Mental Case

I've not found a pc laptop that compares to the powerbook in spec price and design so it was an easy choice. Coming from a windows background its a completly new experience using OSX its a far better OS than windows xp or anything before.

I crashed it in tiger I've not used classic yet.
    gordyhand.co.uk

Fresh Paint

Looks nice. I've never used an Apple as ALL my software is for Windows.

Currently I'm running an IBM T42 laptop with 1.7 Centrino thingy which is a pretty good machine. Used to have a P4 3.0 IBM before this but it was too heavy and got too hot due to the huge heatsink.

What was the price of the Powerbook if you don't mind me asking ?

ATX Mental Case

It was £1190 for the superdrive model. Quite a lot but worth it imho
    gordyhand.co.uk