Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something you don't see everyday...

Default Re: Something you don't see everyday...

It's a guy from MTL. He use to be in a band called "Les fou bracs" He done a bunch of things like this one, he's been doing this for about 20 years now. But I never saw this one. Nice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SnowFire
    I agree

I'm still lost a little bit on even why we have post counts... But I am sure there is a good reason.

-SF

I dont get it eighther!!! It will be really nice if someone explains a little bit!!!
    My guess is the post count serves two functions, one benefits the members by allowing them to see how frequently someone else posts on the forum to get an idea of their experience (although not a very good measurement of knowledge or experience it usually provides a rough guideline to who has good info). The other function (or maybe affect is a better word) is the impact it has on the members themselves. When someone leaves a large footprint like having high stats they tend to feel a little more important or involved and incidently become more attached to the forums (benefit for the forum). But this is absolutely speculation and I have no real idea why, maybe we get a free toaster when we hit 5,000?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    (although not a very good measurement of knowledge or experience it usually provides a rough guideline to who has good info.)
    I think this is more what the rep is here for. To show who is helpful and who has good info.

I have been a member of TBCS since August 2005 - quite alot longer than quite a few people yet I only have a post count of 360 after this post - not alot really.

Saying that, I try and post kinda interesting posts nothing for the sake of it.

I really don't think a post count proves too much accept from how many osts a member has made!

-gaz

I really don't think a post count proves too much accept from how many osts a member has made!
    I agree that a high post # proves nothing (actually sometimes the inverse is true), but as a rough guideline people who don't know otherwise tend to feel better about a post from someone who has been in the scene for a while vs brand new. And I don't know if that was it's intended purpose or not but I think it does have a slight effect which is what I was getting at. The rep system is pretty new and that has a much more obvious purpose, but is still only somewhat reliable, some of the guys on this forum who could build a PC out of ramen noodles only have a rep power of 1 because they don't post as often.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Woo! I could use a toaster.

We have posts counts because all modern forums have them and people have come to rely on them as a basic guide to see how involved someone is to a forum.

I see the rep system more for knowledge, being helpful, or producing unique items. Not general forum work, enjoyment, etc etc.

Both can be used as a guide. The best idea is to have a decent post count and a good rep. Like jdbnsn has.

Life is like an analogy...

ill agree that the rep is useful for seeing how... USEFUL a person is on a forum.

heres what always pops into my head when thinking about post counts though. a new person with less than 100 posts is still getting settled. therefore they are less likely to be supported when an argument breaks out with a person with a larger post count. post count is kind of like a perceived weight you can throw around. somewhat of a comfort factor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I was checking out Gruntville and they have people with huge ammounts of posts! On one forum(bit-tech??) I even saw something that was mind blowing but I forgot how much it was. I think it was in the 5 digits??
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

if you have administrator's access you can change your post count, on my old forums i made mine to always equal 666

Edit: in other words, just because a post count number LOOKS mindblowing (in the five digits) doesn't mean that user has posted that much... If Paul really wanted to he could make his in the millions (thats seven digits) lol

Double Edit: Back to the original topic of this thread.... that is freaking AWESOME. Probably took him awhile to get that timed right... even if it is a useless post, its in the right forum for it, so who cares?

Hey there is nothing wrong with random stuff posted in the Chatterbox--its juts a place to---post random stuff As far as Gruntville goes, they have been around a few YEARS longer, and have a tight following--very nice folks over there, people I've met IRL.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

people I've met IRL.
    Someone been watching pure pwnage?

On a forum, people are always looking for a measure of their importance. If we took away post counts, it would be join dates, if we took away that, reps-and if we removed all of these things, the forums would probably go silent overnight! It's just in the nature of human beings to perceive a 'pecking order', even if it's an abstract structure without significance.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!