Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Sleeving?

Question Pre-Sleeving?

I saw an idea I liked on either this or another modding site, I don't remember which one it was because this site is the best!

Anyway, you know the big flat grey cables? They took a sharp knife, cut between every 3 or 4 little wires, and then pulled them apart to make spaghetti. Then they bunched up the spaghetti, rolled it tight, and taped it with black electrical tape.

I tried it out on a couple of extra cables I had in the garage, and it worked out great... I think... It seems like they would be much easier to work with, easier to hide, etc...

Has or does anyone do this? Can it hurt, help, hinder, etc? Any pros or cons I should know about before I do this in a real computer?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Pre-Sleeving?

Yes I have seen this done before with cable ties to hold the bundles instead of tape but tape works fine.

This is safe to do but you need to be careful you A. Dont cut the cables themselver and B. dont damage the cables so the insulation comes away and two bare wires come in contact.

Put a picture up of your results
    Need a sig

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Casemodgod did it.

I've done it, in fact, i use a blue duct-tape IDE cable for my optical drive.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I did it on my old project, although I didn't do a very tidy job on the sleeve. You can also shorten the cables by popping the connector loose and moving it closer to the other end (just be real careful to reconnect it with the right wire to the right blade) and then cutting the excess ribbon off. The only thing that would be a problem with separating the wires like you said would be if your exacto blade knicked through the insulation and exposed the wire for something to short, but I guess that kind of goes without saying.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I HAVE done this and I have posted it in some of the sections here too. Thats pretty much it though, you cut the wires, roll them up, and then either duct or electrical tape them as tight as you can.

CAUTION is advised!!

I went through 2 IDE cables doing this because my knive kept slipping and cutting across the wires. Which destroys the entire cable. It helps MAJORLY if you have perfectly flat cables with very few wrinkles in the cable. You know, something that looks like it was brand new. That minamized cutting the wires alot. But you should still be very very careful. Otherwise... It makes a great poor mans sleeving kit!

Here is a picture, I did it very very fast so it doesnt look as great as it COULD. If you do it right, It looks pretty darn good. But I'm swapping them out eventually so I didnt take my time. ...and yes, My PSU looks like a mexican fiesta :p

-SF
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

The blade slippage can be minimized if you start the cut and switch to something edged but very dull to split them.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    The blade slippage can be minimized if you start the cut and switch to something edged but very dull to split them.
    Thats actually what I was thinking too. lol

-SF
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I actuallly did this to an old cable with my bare hands. I just peeled them apart along the grooves between the wires. For instances were i couldnt just peel i used my nail to "slice" a bit , then peeled the rest of the way down. I never really got around to testing it, but i didnt see any visible damage. I figure i might be able to tear the wires apart but im not as likely to break the cable as i am to slice it with an razor.

I also saw a method were u could just fold along the seams and use some split tubeing to cover the cables. This method seems like it would be the safest as far as not potentially destroying cables.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

I did this...

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Overclocked

yeah i'd guess that all you really need is a starter split before just manually separating. safer for the cable that way too. plastic's a lot easier to tear like that than copper is

good idea though. i might do this in my computer to attempt to make the stupid thing a bit less messy.