Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Workshop

Default Re: The Workshop

There are a couple of cures for the winter blues or cabin fever or whatever you want to call it.

The one I've found is to reserve about half an hour to an hour a day to just relax outdoors. Wrap up and go enjoy something outside. It's really quiet and peaceful during winter and I've found a profound joy in reading outdoors during winter.

Spend more time with people. One of the best way to raise spirits. Doesn't need explanation.

Spend your downtime doing what you enjoy. If it's dark outside and you're stuck indoors, spend that extra time doing something you want indoors. Learn a new hobby, read a book, exercise, cook, play an instrument. Whatever.

Solitude provides a lot of freedom from others, but at a price. There's no one to converse with and possibly keep you sane. Over thinking without judging your wandering mind can have psychotic repercussions in the worst cases.
    I guess it's about mental stability really.

Bad ideas: Drinking alcohol, overeating, excessive sleeping. Sounds like the holidays are in the wrong months for the northern hemisphere.

That visor really is horrible.

Don't worry, the winter solstice is only a couple of weeks away. Before you know it days will be getting longer again.
    Why does the sunrise so late?

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    There are a couple of cures for the winter blues or cabin fever or whatever you want to call it.
    Posting Pics help too!!!

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post

The one I've found is to reserve about half an hour to an hour a day to just relax outdoors. Wrap up and go enjoy something outside. It's really quiet and peaceful during winter and I've found a profound joy in reading outdoors during winter.

Spend more time with people. One of the best way to raise spirits. Doesn't need explanation.

Spend your downtime doing what you enjoy. If it's dark outside and you're stuck indoors, spend that extra time doing something you want indoors. Learn a new hobby, read a book, exercise, cook, play an instrument. Whatever.

Solitude provides a lot of freedom from others, but at a price. There's no one to converse with and possibly keep you sane. Over thinking without judging your wandering mind can have psychotic repercussions in the worst cases.

Bad ideas: Drinking alcohol, overeating, excessive sleeping. Sounds like the holidays are in the wrong months for the northern hemisphere.

That visor really is horrible.

Don't worry, the winter solstice is only a couple of weeks away. Before you know it days will be getting longer again.
    Why does the sunrise so late?
    Nice write up nil8! I think we should all keep some of these tips in our heads for the rest and future seasons such as these.

Very much true. I've been in partial "solitude" for almost two years now. Even though I see myself as normal and "sane", alot of my friends have stopped calling and trying to make new friends is difficult. I have "changed" I guess you could say. The best advice I can give to a person who is like this or desires "solitude" is this. Even if you don't want to, be as social and out in the world as much as you can be. nil8 said it, it comes at a price, a price that I don't think any human being can afford. Just my opinion though.

Now back to the topic at hand. About what percentage would you say is this completed Dave? Hope everything is coming along nicely and to plan?

The best of luck!

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Here you go. I haven't got the keys at the moment so i can't show you the inside. Everything bar the electronics is now finished, and i'm hoping to get out there and use it later in summer. At the moment, it's being used to store wood and tools for the builders.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

tinfoil-underwear

Dave, that workshop looks super cool!!!

I am positive, people will see light leakage during the wee hours of the night...
    That's going to be Dave... moddin' and posting @ TBCS.

Looks good man... I like it.
    Congrats and Kudos!

Ah, now that's a nice lookin little setup you got there.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Special kudos goes out to Andy and Steve, who built that. These guys are the fastest damn carpenters i've ever seen, and y'know, they feel the same way about a piece of wood as we do about an Antec Super-LAN boy. They're great guys, and work late into the dark, cold, Scottish night. We can't really pay them what they deserve, but to be perfectly frank, they don't even seem all that interested in profit. They just love what they do.

Of course, to them, I'm one of these wacky kids who doesn't do a real man's hobby. What do they know, eh?

Anyway, if you leave them some feedback, i'll linky them to this thread.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Construction IMHO is another form of art. It takes skill to build anything that will be used for long term shelter. Plus it looks good too! Pass along my kudos for a nice job.

Oh and Carpenters that can use a computer!?! I am really impressed! hehe JK.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Wow, that looks really good! Those guys did an excellent job for sure. It's really hard to come by people like that these days. Everybody is looking for a couple bucks, I guess can't blame them though. But I am glad you got some real professionals to do the job, lucky duck!

It might be kind of a girly thing to do, but I always like to bake fresh chocolate chip cookies for people like that. ^^

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post

Of course, to them, I'm one of these wacky kids who doesn't do a real man's hobby. What do they know, eh?

-Dave
    Modding involves using tools so therefore its a real man's hobby. Enough said.

Oh and nice shed mate. Hopefully it will be a place where a lot of mods are born.
    Need a sig