Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions....decisions....

Razors Edge

Default Decisions....decisions....

Alright well today I got done with the painting and external stuff. Anyways, Time to focus on the internal.

Now, I checked out Socket As and stuff from AMD, and socket 775s and stuff from Intel. I can't decide on what I would need.

Basicley, all this computer is going to do is hole maybe 2 or 3 thousand songs, and is just ment to go to lan partying.

Now At lans I don't expect to be playing Oblivion or anything, so It doesn't have to be top of the line.I want it to handle most game slike UT2004, BF2, stuff like that. I don't want to spend over $300 on the hardware.

So far I have a 200 Gig HDD for it,A PSU,And a Combo drive, so thats out. Basicley, I want an opinion, On what I will be doing, What would you guys recommend for me.

On the mobo and PROC, I don't really want to exeed $100.....Let me know what you all recommend.....

Default Re: Decisions....decisions....

You should be able to get some decent 939 stuff for not very expensive now that AM2 is out, so I'd check out some of that.
    RIP Bucko

think about the AMD proc. with free mobo deal at newegg. its one of the things in the right column. do that and get yourself $200 worth of the best videocard you can. ati X1900 series i would recommend, there are a few models around that price.

ATX Mental Case

Yeah I definately wouldn't waste my time with any socket A stuff, especially with the great deals on 939 hardware. Whats your wattage rating on that psu by the way?

Razors Edge

400 Watts. Not limited that much.

As far as AMD goes, I understand that its better then Intel, but Intel gives you more MHZ for the buck. I am convinced on LGA 774 or w/e its called or 478.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I would go for a 775 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. Since you are playing BF2

They are $181.90 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115005
    Need a sig

Razors Edge

Like I said, I didn't want to pass over $150 for the MOBO and the PROC. The conroes are in my point for extreme gamers. And if I get good grades im getting a x6800 Conroe, but for a LAN. Somthing decent, not so crappy not so ultra gamer kinda....

here is my middle range reccomendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103539
    get the processor with the combo deal with the best video card you can afford, either the x1900GT or the v1650Pro. the x1900 is WAY better for only a little more cash. gaming wise that processor is pretty awesome too. For a mobo to match this setup i suggest any of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=&srchInDesc=
    But a good brand like one of the ASUS, Abit, or DFI ones would be best.

If you dont mind getting some tech from the dark ages these would perform well for super cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813185073 its a crap board but it has a pci-e slot and therefore could make a budget gaming rig.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103605 this is a good processor and the board that is comes with it for super cheap would work fine, even though you would have to find an AGP card to game with.

Razors Edge

Yeah but see, you guys are giving me x1900's and stuff. I consider those extreme gaming. I need stuff like maybe a 6100 or somthing. Just barley making the minimum. I don't expect to be a primer player in Lans.....

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
    400 Watts. Not limited that much.

As far as AMD goes, I understand that its better then Intel, but Intel gives you more MHZ for the buck. I am convinced on LGA 774 or w/e its called or 478.
    The GHZ/dollar on previous generations of AMD vs Intel might be higher for Intel, but AMD has been able to do MORE in those less GHz (That's why they're popular, because a 2.2GHz AMD Athlon64 3200+ Measured up to, say, a 3.06GHz Intel CPU.

For real cheap prodoucts, I suggest getting a nF3 motherboard that supports socket 754, and then some decent ATi x800 or nVidia 66/6800 GT or Ultra.

Overclock the whole rig, and it'll run just about anything fine. Case in point: My rig =D. I can play WoW on full graphics settings with tons of addons and no lag in Ironforge (other WoW geeks will tell you that that's pretty good for older PC's at least) and i can run UT2k4 at respectable settings and BF2 stupid fast on low/medium.

So go forth, Go forth and build!

Quote Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
    Like I said, I didn't want to pass over $150 for the MOBO and the PROC. The conroes are in my point for extreme gamers. And if I get good grades im getting a x6800 Conroe, but for a LAN. Somthing decent, not so crappy not so ultra gamer kinda....
    Or what you could do is just get a computer and moniter harness and take your home rig to LANs. I do thi ever few months to attend a UT2k4 DM Tourney that lasts all night.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"