Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Intresting Idea *Please Look*

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: An Intresting Idea *Please Look*

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Omega-
    The destructive interference was only being considered is there were 2 subs with separate channels of independent recording. If they are both connected to the same channel then yes, D.I. would not have much affect (I have been told it still can if the subs are not equidistant, but I haven't been able to notice much). But if recorded with the theoretical X.2 discussed earlier where you have two subs playing different notes at diff frequencies, I'll bet it would have an effect. But I don't know for sure, just a consideration. Why do you think D.I. is BS?

Ah, i thought you meant two subs playing the SAME note.

Anywho, Two subs on two different channels playing two different notes won't nessacarily (sp?) create interferance at all unless you hit the natural frequency of something nearby, which a single sub can do by itself.

Now, even with two channels, I highly doubt you'll hit a reverbative frequency of something large with both subs at the same time, but if you do, yeah, that could be rather bad.

I think the only problem with two bass channels playing two different notes is that it'll probably sound like ****e when the two notes mix. Well, either ****e or a nice, low harmonic frequency. It depends.

EDIT: I just got to thinking about bass and how it's kind of cool, I mean, how many things do you know have high natural frequencies (aside from wine glasses, of course)?

For those who don't know what i'm talking about when i say "Natural Frequencies" or "Reverbative Frequencies" i am referring to the natural movement by an object, which is the rate that the object essentially moves back and forth naturally. As a result of this natural frequency, it affects the air (or water) around it, and if you can precisely match the major frequency of an object (Major frequency being the most important frequency in a harmonic set of frequencies) with a speaker or hydraulic/pneumatic actuator, then you can actually cause the object to reverberate.

When the object begins to reverberate along with the outside force, the two frequencies supplement each other, and in turn, amplifiy the, well, amplitude of the frequency that the object was at before.

To give an example:

If you have an object with a natural frequency of 5Hz then you either have a subwoofer or a hyrdaulic/pneumatic actuator near the object and operating at 5Hz, the two, in perfect timing, amplify each other exponentially.

It's a rather perplexing occourance.

This reverberation is also why playing bass-heavy music really loud might make the house shake a bit -- some of the frequencies from the subwoofer might be reverberating with the house -- but not long enough for anything really bad to happen.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Ah, i thought you meant two subs playing the SAME note.

Anywho, Two subs on two different channels playing two different notes won't nessacarily (sp?) create interferance at all unless you hit the natural frequency of something nearby, which a single sub can do by itself.

Now, even with two channels, I highly doubt you'll hit a reverbative frequency of something large with both subs at the same time, but if you do, yeah, that could be rather bad.

I think the only problem with two bass channels playing two different notes is that it'll probably sound like ****e when the two notes mix. Well, either ****e or a nice, low harmonic frequency. It depends.

EDIT: I just got to thinking about bass and how it's kind of cool, I mean, how many things do you know have high natural frequencies (aside from wine glasses, of course)?

For those who don't know what i'm talking about when i say "Natural Frequencies" or "Reverbative Frequencies" i am referring to the natural movement by an object, which is the rate that the object essentially moves back and forth naturally. As a result of this natural frequency, it affects the air (or water) around it, and if you can precisely match the major frequency of an object (Major frequency being the most important frequency in a harmonic set of frequencies) with a speaker or hydraulic/pneumatic actuator, then you can actually cause the object to reverberate.

When the object begins to reverberate along with the outside force, the two frequencies supplement each other, and in turn, amplifiy the, well, amplitude of the frequency that the object was at before.

To give an example:

If you have an object with a natural frequency of 5Hz then you either have a subwoofer or a hyrdaulic/pneumatic actuator near the object and operating at 5Hz, the two, in perfect timing, amplify each other exponentially.

It's a rather perplexing occourance.

This reverberation is also why playing bass-heavy music really loud might make the house shake a bit -- some of the frequencies from the subwoofer might be reverberating with the house -- but not long enough for anything really bad to happen.
    lmao watch his house shake to the ground.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    lmao watch his house shake to the ground.

Funny that you say that -- I just plugged my speakers back in and this song "These Colours Don't Run" by Iron Maiden has a bass line that reverberates on one of the off-frequencies of my house, but only slightly.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"