Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need some help

Default Re: need some help

It doesn't seem likely that a new motherboard wouldn't support a speed of 1.13GHz. It's most likely something else.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

Post a link to each of your items... We will check

Overclocked

yeah, this all goes a lot easier if you tell us what the hardware is

dave, i'm not sure about the age of any of the gear, if it's a "new" processor that's 1.13 ghz...

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Marius View Post
    no beeps..its a PIII mobo.
    it ain't new.

Anodized

wait wait wait, are you saying just the video output isnt showing? I was in a little pickle like this once.

Ok, not saying this could be the problem, but hey, its worth a try.

When I upgraded to a new mobo(I know you upgraded a new mobo AND case but..) I left the little pins that connect to the mobo tray, giving it that rise up so its not touching the tray direct. But what happen was my new mobo didnt need one of those little pins. But I left it on not thinking about it. Guess what.. it was right under the video card. so when I went to go screw in the mobo that pin was touching the mobo, so it was touching some gizmo or something. So it was grounding my mobo or even worst frying it. I found out quick before it did any damage.

Just remove your mobo from your case and see if you have the right amount of pins, no more, no less.

Sorry I dont know the name of those things, there always a golden color.

Overclocked

standoffs, i believe, is the word you're looking for.

edit: yay google, clicky

dave, i'm not sure about the age of any of the gear, if it's a "new" processor that's 1.13 ghz...
    so my system is dead and this is a brand new mobo
    Missed the part about the Pentium 3. I was assuming it was a Socket A, as you can still buy a type of Socket A mobo if i'm correct.

Sorry I dont know the name of those things, there always a golden color.
    I think they're just called spacers.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

the mobo is a D815eea2U. the support docs for it support only up to a P3 1.0G and celeron 800M. So its very possible the bios doesnt recognize that speed hence it doesnt come on.. Ive had seen that problem in the past. Its a very simple process since ive built PCs before but much older early PIII's. It wasnt the switch, or any other component. and yes those are the standoffs. but that shouldnt cause a problem if you have the correct amount.

Yeah its not state of the art gear and unfortunately i currently cant afford the new P4 stuff.

what i currently have is an offbrand CD burner, 3.5floppy, samsung 40G HDD samsung 7G HDD, ati Radeon 9200 agp, 256Mb sdram 168 pin pc 100M and thats pretty much it. nothing fancy nothing conflicting as far as i can tell. every thing powered up, HDD, mobo, cdburner etc. nothing on the monitor though (that error message that the monitor is working check connections ect) I checked the monitor to my work PC (P4) and the monitor to the newly built PIII (LCD monitor) old monitor worked on the P4 and the LCD didnt work on the PIII..oh yeah Powersupply is 200W ATX 20 pin standard..nothing fancy

Overclocked

hm ok, looking through this stuff, your problem >might< be a lack of power. i haven't worked with p3's in a damn long time, but 2 hd's, a decently new agp card (the 9200 is newish, isn't it?), and such, on a 200W ps might >just< be the problem. there may just not be enough pull to run the video card after everything else. maybe unplug everything except your system HD and see if you at least get video signal

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by ajmilton View Post
    standoffs, i believe, is the word you're looking for.

edit: yay google, clicky
    Damn, yeah thats it.

video card and HDD's are no longer hooked up...and it was still an issue