Thread: wheels and / or casters

Default wheels and / or casters

I started a new mod... I have basic ideas for it but not a true theme yet... anyway, one of the things I wanted to do was put it on wheels.
    I figured this would give it a little bit of height and a lot of mobility...

Here's the problem...

I went with casters instead of trying to fashion an axle. Casters are centered on a mounting plate which then needs to be mounted on the bottom of the case.
    This makes all the wheels (and therefore my tippy point) a lot closer to center than when the case was flat on the floor.

Is there...
    A: an easy way to do axles?
    or
    B: some sort of arm to mount casters on so it spreads out and balances stuff?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Default Re: wheels and / or casters

So... I started drilling through the bottom of the frame to mount my casters anyway... I figured I can always look for some sort of offset arm or axle later.

Anyway, I encountered one or two little rough sports drilling that I really didn't think too much of... at the time...

Turns out I drilled through (and consequently disabled) the bottom track for my sliding removable mobo. I cannot even mount it again because the track runs right over the area now filled by my bolt heads.
    The mobo tray (and therefore a mobo) fits fine, just the bottom track is done for.

Should I...
    1. find a point to affix my motherboard permanently?
    2. use the tray and case as is, the top track and rear screws should hold it fine?
    3. remove all bolts and reinstall bottom track cuz it's far too useful to waste?
    4. something else I haven't thought of yet?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Hey...

Besides for the bolts, I am basically trying to fit 4 FLAT metal mounting plates to the FLAT bottom of a metal frame. So what if I just go without the bolts?
    What about Liquid Nails or JB Weld or some other epoxy bonding type stuff?

I am sure that bonding type materials like that would be more than strong enough to hold my computer UP... but how much motion can they take without giving way?

I was thinking my wheels should be one of the first things I do, so I have the mobility during the building process... but that means constantly working that area of connection.

Robert A. Heinlein

You sure you want to attach wheels before painting? If so, then you'll want them removable, so opt for bolts.

I'd just re-drill your mounting holes and move the wheel.

Then again, i've never had a fancy case with pull-out mobo trays and stuff like that. I tend to use the old steel cases that are riveted together. So i might have missed something.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!