Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: looking to mod my dell 4700

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Default Re: looking to mod my dell 4700

The poblem with that is that dell powersupplies are custom made by dell and the outputs are in different places arent they? That is wot I found with 3 different PSU's! Correct me if i am wromg

-gaz

well mine has lasted 2 years and has worked fine.

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Yeh plus i see no need to change the power suply if it is fine!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I've had mine for about a year as well. No problems yet. But mine is only a year old so either they fixed whatever issues they were having or I just havent put enough time into it to see it do something that it shouldnt.

That floppy drive has to be the most useless thing I had in my dell. I ripped it out for experimentations about two weeks ago. It's not really even a good spot to put anything. I wish they would of changed it to a media reader instead! Now that would of been useful!

You could also try and make your own hard drive cage if you cant find a spot to put them. That would give you expansion possibilities and enough room to put in a intake fan.

-SF

Quote Originally Posted by gaz_the_chav View Post
    Zombeh, Are you satisfied that you have found the right product then (before this goes anymore off topic?!) Just thought I would make sure!

-gaz
    no i have not.

Default first mod today!

i did my first mod today!!
    So i decided to go to staples the other day and pick up a 80mm fan (gonna return in 14 days) as a tester i had to put the harddrive on the floor of the case and take out my pci slot fan.

i have the harddrive taped cuz its only temporary right now.

i have seen a few degree temps drop, im pretty happy. the fan i got doesnt blow much air, but i can now feel cold air moving through out the case. i still have the front bezel on it.

the air is coming through the squares and from the bottom.

would you guys recommend leaving the fan where its at? or between the front and bezel?

Overclocked

either way, i don't think you'll see a huge difference in airflow, it's mostly an aesthetic decision

if you want to continue the mod to improve airflow, i'd cut out some of that metal grill to allow more air through :p those puny holes have got to restrict it something fierce.
    although, i'm not sure if you'll get enough intake through the bezel to make much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmilton View Post
    either way, i don't think you'll see a huge difference in airflow, it's mostly an aesthetic decision

if you want to continue the mod to improve airflow, i'd cut out some of that metal grill to allow more air through :p those puny holes have got to restrict it something fierce.
    although, i'm not sure if you'll get enough intake through the bezel to make much of a difference.
    yes i know lol, so would you recommend putting the fan between the bezel and case? im planning on cutting out the silver dell logo thing to help. i know its pretty limited. but im planning on replacing the 80mm with a 92 or 120. its going to be hard to cut the front bezel since its uneven.

Overclocked

i don't think i'd put the fan between the bezel and the case - the fan's sides would block airflow at that point. this way, you can get interrupted airflow from anywhere inside the bezel air can get in
    i'm not sure about cutting the bezel. i'm still rather new to the modding stuff myself. lots of the worklogs on here show a sort of air tunnel being created through the bezel. check some of the worklogs out and you'll probably find more coherent advice than i've got.