Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's in a pro's shop?

Anodized

Default What's in a pro's shop?

While most of us won't be pro modders and maybe we won't make our cases from scratch. I'm curious what some of the pros have in their arsonal of tools?

Default Re: What's in a pro's shop?

Quote Originally Posted by X child
    While most of us won't be pro modders and maybe we won't make our cases from scratch. I'm curious what some of the pros have in their arsonal of tools?
    Drill Press
    Band Saw
    Table Saw
    Scroll Saw (The only good Dremel)
    Bench Grinder (Buffer)
    Paasche paint gun
    Foredom shaft tool
    Microtorque rotary tool

Plus hand tools
    Drills, lots
    Jigsaw
    Orbital sander
    Heatgun
    tap and die set

Also good to have
    Bending brake
    powder coating equipment
    anodizing equipment

e.t.c.
    Clamps
    t-square
    straight edge
    hole saws
    large drill bit set
    polishing compounds

I know Im forgetting alot but thats the gist of what a good shop should have in its arsenal
    Last edited by ZeD; 05-08-2005 at 08:11 PM.

Anodized

Basically what I figured but I had to ask just to be sure, plus there's stuff there that I don't have a clue what it does. Really been thinking about getting a drill press and band saw. A bending brake would be really awsome, you could make some insane shapes with that thing.

as long as those shapes are composed of bends

While most of us won't be pro modders and maybe we won't make our cases from scratch.
    You can make scratch cases without a lot of tools. It just makes things a little harder.

Scroll Saw .. the only good Dremel ?!? Nothing can replace my Dremels !! .. ok .. so my scroll saw is also made by Dremel.

Anodized

I just wanted to see what would make it easier. My present case is scratch built, although I did steal the 5 1/4, 3 1/2 drive cages and the piece from the back that the motherboard attaches too and the cards are screwed into. I originally had planned to make everything but I got lazy and short on time so I started hacking into my old case. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get some pictures up. Once I get my switch panel made and the PSU in I'll post some.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    as long as those shapes are composed of bends

Isn't that what a bending brake is for?

Isn't that what a bending brake is for?
    Yes ... But I think Zed thought you wanted to make nice curves. That is not what brakes are for.

Case Wizard

For small sheet metal break you can make it yourself (isn't that what we really wanted to do anyways).

http://how-to-plans.com/shop_equipment.html

I just wanted to see what would make it easier. My present case is scratch built, although I did steal the 5 1/4, 3 1/2 drive cages and the piece from the back that the motherboard attaches too and the cards are screwed into. I originally had planned to make everything but I got lazy and short on time so I started hacking into my old case. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get some pictures up. Once I get my switch panel made and the PSU in I'll post some.
    Just because you used some parts from your old case doesnt make it any less of a custom build, show it off, lets see the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Malatory
    For small sheet metal break you can make it yourself (isn't that what we really wanted to do anyways).

http://how-to-plans.com/shop_equipment.html
    Thats great, too bad ya need welding equipment to make what you could have bought for less than the welding equipment it would have taken to make it in the first place. On a side note I hate buying plans online, the plans are NEVER the same as the picture your looking at, and you only find out how much you don't really like it after you pay for it. totally sucks